1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We don't see the appeal of A Christmas Story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Dec 24, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

For years I've wondered what was wrong with me. I'm so happy to find other Christmas Story haters at SportsJournalists.com!

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I think its good - has some classic moments - has some eh moments - but overall its just above average to good. I wouldn't put it in the great category, let alone the classic category where they have to show it for 24 straight hours on TBS.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've never seen it and don't really have any interest in changing that.

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

The first time I saw it, before it hit it big with the 24-hour showing on TBS and the merchandising, I thought it was a very, very good movie. But then I saw it 12 times, then 20, and really, I can't even sit through it anymore. Textbook case of overkill.

5. KG

KG Active Member

I think my mom's hatred for this movie is what helped spark my love for it many years ago.

6. KG

KG Active Member

Oooooooohhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddddddddddggggggggggeeee.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Love the lamp. Like the movie enough to maybe watch it once a year, but I'm definitely not the type to recite lines and watch it over and over again.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

sportschick, you are far from alone on this one. I've watched it and found parts of it amusing, but I never saw anything special about it.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

ACS is now blasting on both TVs in our newsroom, thanks to our veteran copy editor who turns up the volume on every. single. Christmas. special. even the ones we've already watched earlier this month.

If I liked the movie before -- though not on a loop for 24 hours -- hearing those kids crying and screaming in both of my ears for the last hour has turned me off to it for a long while. If I wanted that, I'd go home and listen to my neighbors scream at their kids.

10. KG

KG Active Member

Oh the mall scene...yelch. Hoooooooo Hooooooo Hoooooooooo SCREAAAAAAAAAAM!

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'll take christmas vacation or home alone over a christmas story any time.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Elf as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted