1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Didn't Start The Fire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Oct 23, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Edmunds has a cover of Elvis Costello's "Girls Talk" that smokes the original. And I love the original.

Slacker, maumann and HC like this.
  2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I was gonna mention this in my original post. I was in my late teens when this album came out and I played the shit out it.

Slacker, maumann and PCLoadLetter like this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

When this came on during morning drive, writing the news got preempted for four fabulous minutes. Sometimes I'd be out of breath when the jock flipped my mic hot.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I hate, hate "We Didn't Start The Fire." That song came out when I was 14, not driving yet, so I was in a neighbor's carpool to school every day and they had a Mercedes wagon with speakers in the back door armrests. Weird design, and sound coming from there really made me dizzy. And for months on end, that song was always on. I can never hear it now and think of anything else.

Flip Wilson and maumann like this.
  5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Totally agree. It’s an awful song. It’s almost as bad as Joel’s Uptown Girl.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

When it comes to just excruciatingly bad songs Billy Joel is the 1927 Yankees.

We Didn't Start the Fire
    Uptown Girl
    Goodnight Saigon
    Piano Man
    Allentown

We once had a lively newsroom debate on the worst Billy Joel song. I think "Goodnight Saigon" was the consensus.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

"Big Shot" is horribly horrendous. And then some.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Twice legendary...

I remember listening to this live and Stern just asked them to give it a try acoustically.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Father John Misty's "Holy Shit" is another one. Kinda want to sing it at karaoke just so I can be branded a nihilistic twit.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

'Behind Blue Eyes' and the Violent Femmes first album.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Repeat When Necessary". I was a little older, but ditto. Recorded at the same time as Nick Lowe's "Labor of Lust", and both are Rockpile records.

HC likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Then there are the covers that make your skin crawl...

Draft saved Draft deleted