1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Bought Our First Home!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Congrats!

And don't forget to take a moment to give yourself a pat on the back.

There will be a lot of memories, and some stresses, in your new house. In my first year, I remember being terrified over every little thing that went wrong. Now after a few years, I'm a little more relaxed.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Find out how much it is and get it if it's reasonable... Furnace shits on you in the first year and you're out the full cost...

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I love being a homeowner. I had major buyer's remorse when I took the plunge, but you get over that fast.

It is very rewarding. And you learn something every day, and every time something fucks up. Gotta love that.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's unpossible. Nobody's buying. We're all living in the streets.

Congrats Pete!

5. jps

jps Active Member

way to go, pete! we're in the process of looking and wanting to get out of our apartment. taking a first-time home buyer's class in march, and we're supposed to be able to be eligible for a grant toward the downpayment, up to five grand. hate waiting, but will definitely be good with some free money.

found a could of places we love. one really nice inside with a great backyard, landscaped and all. another I fell in love with the kitchen and everything about the inside of the place, though not as great a back yard. first is from an owner, the second is a new home. not sure which we like more, but nice to know there are some we like in our range.

let's keep this thread going, right along with the newborn thread, huh? I'm gonna have lots of buyer questions here soon. :)

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Congrats Pete.

Get a copy of Ortho's Home Improvement Encyclopedia. If you're not familiar with doing small repairs, it'll walk you through them. If you are handy already, it'll help you learn new skills.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Congrats.

You will really enjoy doing your taxes next year.

When you paint, and I am pretty sure you will be in the next 12 months, buy Behr and do not skimp on the rollers.

Lime is cheap and so is fertilizer from the Home Depot. It will make your grass look great for very little investment.

If you like working with your hands, you are going to love owning your own house. Hopefully The Home Depot is close because you are going there every weekend. :)

8. 93Devil

Oh, take a ton of pictures of the place before you start working on it.

It will be fun to go back and compare in 2-3 years.

9. KG

KG Active Member

Congrats!

My landlord keeps trying to talk me into buying the house I rent from him. The next time he asks, I might ask how much he wants for it. I'd take the offer if it were super cheap.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

My wife already suggested this. She's really good with paint/colors so she's excited to do the whole before and after thing.

11. 93Devil

Talk to a mortgage agent first.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Congratulations, Pete. You've just acquired the place which will hold the earliest memories your little girl will be able to hold onto. That's a wonderful thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted