1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We are Penn(itentiary) State!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hammer Pants, Jul 27, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And those are the things he should be working on full-time now. Nobody is saying Paterno is a bad guy here (though he has been an asshole to the media for no good reason on occasion). But it's getting ugly there and he is no longer capable of fixing the problem. He should know that.

2. outofplace

It is the second point that really jumps out to me, Hammer. Penn State has tried to claim it has had all its success while remaining clean, while holding itself above what other programs do. That just isn't true, at least not any more.

I'm not sure if it ever was true. I wonder how much slipped by everyone's notice for all those years that the media in State College wouldn't dare take on St. Joe.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The problems at Penn St., Wisky, and Tenn., to name a few, were examples I was telling a few friends here and a couple of bloggers(!) on the Register were writing about this past week. The message was this: Iowa's not alone and no one should in this fly-over state should be surprised, disgusted, or embarrassed.

Unfortunately, the idiots I live with in this state hasn't gotten the message yet.

4. sorry. it's one thing when the win-loss record takes a dip, it's another when "lack of institutional control" (a bs phrase, but one that applies here) becomes a concern. this is only the first layer of the onion to get peeled. joe should go.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

It's the same reax all over the place (in the community and at the papers that cover the teams) and the questions are always the same, as are the calls for action.

This shit goes in cycles. Always has, always will.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

You and outofplace raise very good points - but I think as long as he's still going to bowl games (and New Year's Day bowls at that), there would be much more outrage if he were pushed rather than retired.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

What was the final count on number of times Paterno called the piece a "witch hunt?"

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Yes because he is an old man like Bowden who built a great program and is in the process of tearing it down because both are selfish old geezers.

As for criminals, FSU and UM are nowhere near PSU in the last few years. Public perception and reality are two different things.

9. outofplace

Perhaps, but I'm not talking about public response. I'm talking about what should happen.

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

1. University president says it's embarrassing.
    2. Faculty rep says it hasn't been handled well.
    3. Coach calls it a witch hunt.
    And chances are, No. 3 will still be getting a check from the university long after Nos. 1 and 2.
    Also, did anyone else catch Stephen A. Smith on SportsCenter referring to it as the University of Penn State? At least twice. Sheesh, they couldn't find a media "expert" that has maybe, I don't know, actually attended a game there?

11. markvid

markvid Guest

And the fact he lives in the same state.
    Oops.

12. ...last time I checked, Stephen A. Smith couldn't even get his lingo down for his own sport (NBA), so I don't expect him to know PSU.

Draft saved Draft deleted