1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"We all knew this" and after-the-fact reporting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Dec 12, 2011.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/12/12/3315903/several-signs-that-haleys-days.html

This is one of my pet peeves - the after-the-fact "we knew this was coming" reporting that pops up every now and then.

It came up again today, with the KC Star reporting that Todd Haley had talked last week "in a private conversation" that he was considering resigning as Chiefs' coach so that he could be able to tell his side of the story. If it was truly a private conversation, why is it being reported now? If it's being reported now and is fair game, then why not report it last week? The obvious answer is because you didn't want to burn bridges with Haley, but I find it distasteful, trying to have it both ways.

To me, even worse is the passage that talks about how Haley and the Chiefs' GM were "at odds" throughout the season, and how it was obvious even before the season that a coaching change was likely to happen. Why wasn't this "obvious" pending coaching change and this behind-the-scenes fighting ever reported? It may have been and I missed it, but the only writing about this I remember was when Whitlock took on Haley and talked about what an ass he is, and the fighting between he and Weis and he and Pioli.

Is this a legitimate complaint, or am I expecting too much and for things to be purely straight out of the textbook?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I assume Haley told them all this under an embargo until his job status actually changed.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Legitimate complaint. That story/blurb/whatever was fairly smug and not terribly insightful. But maybe it's Web shell of a longer story to come.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

For what it's worth, Teicher writes circles around Babb, who seemingly is always this smug.

I agree with your complaint. It's a lame attempt to play catch up.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I knew you were going to say that.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Even more irritating is the "I knew this, but couldn't tell you last week" from radioheads . . . and we all know who the worst offender in the known universe is.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was just about to post the same thing.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I refuse to glorify him by identifying the poor, defensive Long Islander.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read Babb's stuff pretty frequently and can't remember anything he's written that I thought was "smug"

About four or five years ago an agent who represents several current and former head coaches told me that "In the last decade, only one NFL head coach has actually truly quit his job." He said it's always a negotiated settlement where the coach is walking away with a lot of money even if they're fired, retiring, going to a different team, back to college, or anything...

The only coach who truly quit was Steve Spurrier.

I don't know that to be true, but that's what he told me.

Draft saved Draft deleted