1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WBTV helicopter crashes, killing weatherman, pilot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Nov 22, 2022.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Damn, damn, damn.

Instantly I recalled Jane Dornacker and several other incidents involving reporters. I never have stepped foot in a whirlybird but admire those who do it every day to keep us informed.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Awful. I have professional relationships and friendships with a number of WBTV folks. I am heartbroken for them today.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I remember Dornacker. There was a bad one in Phoenix many a moon ago when choppers from competing stations crashed. The four network affiliates in the market eventually pooled resources for a shared copter.

EDIT: Adds link. Phoenix news helicopter collision - Wikipedia

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago the Tampa NBC station lost its pilot, who had a heart attack and died in his sleep
    The morning crew was especially stunned as it was joking with him the day before

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

A horrid reminder that those people in those choppers put themselves on the line a lot more than we'd like to admit.

No, I don't want to dehumanize this - it's horrible and it hits too close to home - but just in case we took what they do up there for granted ...

RIP to two good people in the biz and Thank You.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Wasn’t she the woman who portrayed the nurse in The Right Stuff?
    RIP to both gentlemen.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Seattle one from several years back stands out. RIP.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I still remember this one from when I was a teen. Francis Gary Powers was a spy shot down by Russia, setting off an international incident and high-profile prisoner exchange, who later died in a crash as a TV helicopter reporter.

Francis Gary Powers - Wikipedia

Powers was piloting a helicopter for Los Angeles TV station KNBC Channel 4 over the San Fernando Valley on August 1, 1977, when the aircraft crashed, killing him and his cameraman George Spears. They had been recording video following brush fires in Santa Barbara County in the KNBC helicopter and were heading back from them

Liut, britwrit and maumann like this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Didn’t one go down in Charlottesville during the Klan/Nazi rally?

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That was a state police helicopter.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Gotcha.

Draft saved Draft deleted