1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ways to Start a Sports Columnist/Blogging/Reporting Career

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jgome21, Jan 9, 2012.

1. jgome21

jgome21 New Member

Hi All,

I am new this site/forum looking to get advice now how to start a career in the sports journalism field. I got a BA in Public Relations from Texas Tech in 2009 and have taken the proper News Writing Classes. Since 2009, I have been stuck in a cubicle procurement job and I'm seeking some change. I've always been a diehard sports fan (Football, Basketball, Soccer) and have started my own blog about a year and a half ago called the Has Beens Sports. I am interested in pursuing sports journalism as a career and wanted advice from professionals on what steps I can take to get closer to my dream job. Besides writing for my own blog, I do not have anything professionally published yet and that is my main goal of this year. Any advice would help. Thanks.

-Josh G.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't quit your day job.

3. jgome21

jgome21 New Member

lol I'll keep that in mind.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No relation.

Serious question, you write a blog about has-beens?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No advise but lots of questions:

Have you written about Craig and Adam James in your "Has Beens blog" ?

Are the cubicles you buy like the ones from Office Space?

6. jgome21

jgome21 New Member

I have a section called the Has Been of the Month to write about certain Has-Beens, but it's mainly just blog I use to write down my sports thoughts/topics and such. Craig James is a D-bag, I don't even have to explain that. Adam, though, had a good season for Tech, placing 2nd team All Big XII. The kid had a rough couple years with the student body hating on him, so to see him play this hard was impressive. And yes, I work in a cubicle just like office space.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you want to make $25K/year in several months, take an unpaid internship at a paper right now.

8. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

On a serious note, maybe talk with a small local paper's sports editor and see if they need any help on a freelance basis on high school stuff. That will get you some professional clips.

9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Don't use the phrase dream job.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Learn to do more with less.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't think he was joking.

12. jgome21

jgome21 New Member

I plan on keeping my day job. It's tough out there especially for recent college grads. I got lucky.

Draft saved Draft deleted