1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ways to Start a Sports Columnist/Blogging/Reporting Career

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jgome21, Jan 9, 2012.

1. jgome21

jgome21 New Member

Hi All,

I am new this site/forum looking to get advice now how to start a career in the sports journalism field. I got a BA in Public Relations from Texas Tech in 2009 and have taken the proper News Writing Classes. Since 2009, I have been stuck in a cubicle procurement job and I'm seeking some change. I've always been a diehard sports fan (Football, Basketball, Soccer) and have started my own blog about a year and a half ago called the Has Beens Sports. I am interested in pursuing sports journalism as a career and wanted advice from professionals on what steps I can take to get closer to my dream job. Besides writing for my own blog, I do not have anything professionally published yet and that is my main goal of this year. Any advice would help. Thanks.

-Josh G.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't quit your day job.
  3. jgome21

jgome21 New Member

lol I'll keep that in mind.
  4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No relation.

Serious question, you write a blog about has-beens?
  5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No advise but lots of questions:

Have you written about Craig and Adam James in your "Has Beens blog" ?

Are the cubicles you buy like the ones from Office Space?
  6. jgome21

jgome21 New Member

I have a section called the Has Been of the Month to write about certain Has-Beens, but it's mainly just blog I use to write down my sports thoughts/topics and such. Craig James is a D-bag, I don't even have to explain that. Adam, though, had a good season for Tech, placing 2nd team All Big XII. The kid had a rough couple years with the student body hating on him, so to see him play this hard was impressive. And yes, I work in a cubicle just like office space.
  7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you want to make $25K/year in several months, take an unpaid internship at a paper right now.
  8. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

On a serious note, maybe talk with a small local paper's sports editor and see if they need any help on a freelance basis on high school stuff. That will get you some professional clips.
  9. dirtybird

dirtybird Active Member

Don't use the phrase dream job.
  10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Learn to do more with less.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't think he was joking.
  12. jgome21

jgome21 New Member

I plan on keeping my day job. It's tough out there especially for recent college grads. I got lucky.
Draft saved Draft deleted