1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ways to save money in tough economic times

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i cut my hair once every 6 months. it makes it easier to have no shower wednesdays. then you are just messy hair guy.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I cut my hair maybe three times a year. It does one thing -- long and straight. When it starts to bug me, I go cut about 6-7 inches off, and I'm good for a few more months.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And you save all the money on water, soap and shampoo.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Mine curls into a big, Italian afro -- with grease and everything. I used to wear it 8 1-2 inches long, but I cut it for a job interview. At least I got the job.

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

With all the online shopping soon to be done, try naughtycodes.com. They have a very, very long list of merchants and oftentimes a code for free shipping or 10 dollars off or something.

Doesn't always work, but when it does it helps a little, and every once in a while, you stumble onto a really good code.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Add in the depreciation of the vehicle that you're no longer sitting on, especially if it was a late-model vehicle.

Vehicles are expensive. Period.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Question: Do the gift cards for the food-type places (I can't spell restuarants .. fuck that word) Web site have expiration dates?

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It will, IJAG. Trust me on this.

At one job, the cafeteria used to close when I got there and opened about 30 minutes before I was scheduled to leave. (It's not a conspiracy ... call it a blessing in disguise. Stuff has been shaky at best.) I've been brown-bagging it there since I started. Sandwich, pretzels, a little junk food and soft drinks.

I did the same at my other gig, mostly to save money and also because there's nothing nearby.

The savings will be noticeable, IJAG.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sam, that's not my concern. My concern is my abject refusal to actually make anything. There are times I'll look up and realize I have 15 minutes before I have to leave and my hair's still wrapped in a towel.

I know hte savings will help...if I can make myself do it.

And BBAM: Most are one year from date of purchase.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Thank you, Ms. IJAG.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's the pre-set date. I don't know if some restaurants do it differently, but it should say so on their page.

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

At the grocery, buy meat in bulk when it's on sale. Buy off brand canned stuff.. for example.. in my part of the world, foods targeted at Latinos/as is much cheaper than regular, old Anglo-style brands. Go figure. It adds up. Use coupons. Buy dry goods at a big, big box... be itn a club or a mart..

Draft saved Draft deleted