1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ways to save money in tough economic times

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Making food at home helps. It really only takes 15 mins to prepare yourself a lunch and dinner. It's not fine dining, but it saves cash. I try to do it when I come home from work. Instead of sitting down and watching TV, I listen to it while I prepare.

And blow.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Stop buying trash bags and just use the plastic bags you get from the grocery store.

Take extra napkins from the restaurants and quit buying napkins and paper towels.

Use only one light per room, and if you live alone, shower in the dark with the door open.

Read a book during the day with the curtains open; no lights, no computer, no television, no distractions, no money.

Buy store-brand products.

Turn the heat off and put on a sweatshirt -- or two.

Turn off your power supply to the television/cable box when you're sleeping or not in the room. I've done that and seen by electric bills plummet over the last few months.

Walk to the grocery store. It's good for your health and your wallet. Plus it takes a few more minutes, which saves you on electric/gas bills.

Stop buying soda. It's healthy, too.

Get your hair cut every five or six weeks instead of every four or five.

If you pay for parking at work, instead of doing that, find a free place and walk the rest of the way.

Never fill up the tank before you get home for the day/night. Wait until you need to drive again in case the price drops.

Only eat when you're hungry; the food will last longer, and you'll need to shop less.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

FIXED

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus. I'd hate to see that mop of yours after six weeks.

How bout this? Buy a set of clippers for $20, cut your hair every week and save a ton.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Just go bald, then you won't have to worry about haircuts.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I haven't had my hair cut in almost two months, and it's just fine. I'll probably get it cut next week. It's not bad at all, though I used to have very long hair a while ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Jesus, if I don't get my hair cut every four weeks, I look like a fucking lion. That's an automatic $15 expense for me each month, no exceptions. But it's worth it.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I suppose clippers aren't for everyone, because not everyone has short hair like mine. I lost track of my hairline years ago, but if I let it go for four weeks, it's a mess, even though there's not a ton of hair.

I cut down on bar tabs by not drinking. And when I do break my sobriety for graduation in a few weeks, I'm gonna limit myself to three or four beers. It's been great not having $50 bar tabs two, three times a week. Then again, I've probably spent the difference on Subway tuna.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But if you tack on another week, let's say, you'll save, on average, 75 cents a week and $39 a year. It's not much, but it helps in the long run. Besides, lions are cool.

Buck's plan: 15x13=195.

My plan: 15x10.4=156.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No chance here.

If only I looked like a lion after a couple of months avoiding the clippers ...

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

And despite what the commercials try to tell you, bald can be hot (says the girl who ogles a couple of the younger bald guys at the gym every day).

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I agree.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted