1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ways to save money in tough economic times

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Your link sucks.

There aren't any qualifying restaurants within 30 miles of me.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Take a look at your regular bills and try to renegotiate. Not utilities or rent, but your cell phone, newspaper subscription (for all six of you), cable/satellite/internet provider. You'd be surprised.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What do you mean renegotiate?

Cingular will suddenly give me the same service for less money?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In a word, yes. Well, maybe not a cell phone provider if you're locked into a contract. But with Dish Network, I called them once and said something to the effect of "I've been with you a long time, paying the same rate forever, but I've had better offers from other providers (which was true, though you can lie about it too). Can we come down on this bill at all?" They instantly chopped $10 off. I've also canceled newspaper subscriptions, knowing they'd come calling within days with a better offer, which I then took.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I stopped playing poker, stopped fantasy leagues and stopped playing weekly pick 'em polls and "survivor" polls and frankly haven't had to cut anything else out.

It is amazing how much money I used to blow on this kind of bullshit and outside of Poker, which I play still occassionally, I don't miss any of it.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

That's pretty impressive, and I'd be willing to bet your numbers are pretty conservative. If we were to go down a car, it would save a hell of a lot more than two grand. Too bad we can't figure out a way to make it work.

Consumerist.com is a good resource.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I have plenty of restaurants around me listed on the site, but it seems as if the good ones are out of discount gift certificates.

Shit.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, I do live in a place considered the asshole of Texas, so I guess it makes sense.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It says they replenish the first of each month. The regular price is $10 for $25 gift certificates, so you're still saving money.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My girlfriend used to buy two Dunkin iced coffees per work shift (pharmacist, 13 hour shifts). That's like 6-7 bucks a day, so like 28 a week.
    She bought a diesel bag of Dunkin coffee (I hate coffee) and she brews at home. The big huge-ass bad costs 17 bucks and lasts for what seems like forever.

EDIT: Wanted to add to this only to say as much as those company's seem like a scam, we've saved a couple bucks buying in bulk at BJ's. If we buy something like chicken, we freeze it and take it out when we need it. It's weird having a gallon of frank's red hot, but it's cheaper to buy it in bulk than constantly replacing it. I bought a thing of Country Crock there for 7 bucks about a month and a half ago and it's still going strong.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My problem is work. I wake up at 2, so I get food on the way into work. Then I'm not done at work until 3 a.m., so I'll get food while I'm there. That's two meals a day, four days a week.

I bought sandwich stuff today, and also bought stuff I can make at home without too much effort before work. Hopefully that will help.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Avoid strip clubs.

Draft saved Draft deleted