1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ways to avoid debt?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, Feb 19, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

$500 fix on your car isn't exactly a signifcant debt. You can put that on a credit card and pay it off fairly quickly. Medical bills, that's another story.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My tip -- not that I've paid off all my debt but, finally, I'm close -- is to take 'em one at a time. I went smallest to largest. Got rid of a credit card and one small student loan in about two years, almost done with the main credit card now and the bigger student loan. Car will be paid off in May, so that'll be a big help.

Pay as much as you can toward that one debt and get rid of it ASAP -- and don't feel bad if it takes a while, because the big ones will. I started small, with a $300 limit credit card, to feel like I was making progress overall. If you knock 'em out, one by one, and budget yourself so you don't rack up any unneccesary additional debt (medical bills and auto maintenance, you can't always help), you'll eventually get out of the red and then you can really start doing good things with your money.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Aside from our mortgage, we have zero debt. It's not that difficult.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

One word: Budget.

Write down every single monthly expense, including haircuts, groceries, auto insurance (even if you pay yearly), everything!

As someone said, don't buy what you don't need.

I have no cell phone, no video games, no HD anything, no stereo, one credit card.

Okay, so I splurge a little on cable and high speed internet.

Don't buy cars brand new. Go used. Cars depreciate immediately after driving off the lot.

Don't just pay the monthly minimum on your credit card(s).

If there's extra money sitting in your checking account, move it to a high interest savings account or into a retirement fund. (example: My bank charges me ZERO service charges if I keep my balance above X amount of dollars. So on the last day of every month, I move everything above X dollars-plus-a-hundred to my savings).

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have to foot the repairs and upkeep myself instead of calling a landlord or super.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Don't buy things you can't afford?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What I mean is ... if you can afford to buy a house, you're probably not in the same situation as the person who started this thread, or anybody making close to the typical $25K, or those of us making more but who live in high-priced areas where they can't afford to buy yet.

Not to mention, if you're married or otherwise in a two-income household ... you're in a better financial situation, too.

So saying "it's not that difficult" doesn't really help anybody. That's all.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

solid. damned solid.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Rent and a monthly mortgage many times are a lot closer than many people might think. Not in every area, but in some.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Sound like a Vegas tout.

That is funny.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's not my point.

If you can afford to buy a house, you're probably already in a decent financial situation. In most cases, you've got some money saved up to make a down payment and you're not trying to dig yourself out of a hill or mountain of debt. It's not usually comparable.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It did not take a shitload of money to do a down payment. I'm thinking less than $1,500, and you will get that back a few times over on your taxes.

Draft saved Draft deleted