1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Way to save yourselves Austin American-Statesman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

In today's print edition, they ran the headline "Light and Tight" over a story about a high school softball team.

I'm trying to find the page on Newseum, but can't locate it on there. They've since changed the headline of the story on their Web site to "All Work, No Play is Not the Vista Ridge Way."

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/06/04//0604vistaridge.html

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

To be honest, and I've had my share of headline howlers, 'Light And Tight' is not what I'd be putting as a headline on a story about a high school softball team.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Roasted Nuts

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am not sure what light and tight would mean, except in the double entendre sense.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm guessing they're a team that keeps it light in attitude, but plays the game tightly and error-free.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This. "Tight" is one of those overused coachspeek words that means "we didn't eff up."

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Or it could mean they are ``tight'' as in a close-knit group.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or that they are go up to the plate full of nerves.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Or that they don't like to spend their own money.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We may have stumbled onto another reason it was a bad headline.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So my friends who go to the bathroom whenever the check arrives would be "light" in the wallet and "tight" with their money?

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

When I read the article, I got ^^^^ impression, but all others are clever as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted