1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Way to go, Mississippi!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Apr 20, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I understand what you are saying but believe it or not there are actually people on this board who have been in fights. The percentage might be low but there are a few.

2. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Way fewer than the escapades claimed here, though. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, except for the exaggerating.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think the same thing myself. I've just seen that one link but nothing else.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

probably accurate.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which is why I put that until they had generated enough attention, they were right outside the funerals and screaming loud enough for the people to see them and hear them. While that's not literally in their face, I consider it just as bad. It took them enough times before the Patriot Guard got involved, and towns took them seriously enough to make them protest elsewhere.

And yes, throughout history, there was violence against protestors because some group thought that their free speech was offensive. The difference though, is that although the violent group took the protestors' speech personally, it really wasn't. But in the Westboro case, it is flat-out personal when they try to tell grieving family members that their loved one is in hell.

Maybe the next time they think of protesting, this incident will be in the back of their minds, and they'll tone down their rhetoric a little bit.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yay Mississippi! You don't have to say Thank God for Arkansas anymore.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yea, I mentioned this a page ago. As usual, no one is interested in reality.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But we still cling like grim death to the idea that we are somehow above the citizen journalists/rumormongers we mock.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I've thought a lot about the free speech issue in this case, and I'm really wondering if it is free speech anymore. How close are these guys to shouting fire in a crowded theater?

Someone used the word incite before, and I think that's the right word. It's not picketing, it's inciting.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The idea behind restricting speech for incitement is that you have to set up clear, narrowly tailored boundaries. You can't just say "don't do that, that's incitement," you have to put up strict, clearly defined rules. And most states have done that. They are generally prevented from picketing within a certain number of feet (300?) of the funeral.

Wherever you draw the line to prevent incitement and still respect free speech, these guys will retreat to just on the legal side of the line while still being as annoying as possible.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You can't picket in a funeral home or within a football field of a gravesite service.

You can shout fire 300 feet away from the theater.

Seems like reasonable boundaries.

Draft saved Draft deleted