1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Way to go, farmerj

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You don't owe them anything in terms of telling them if you're looking for another job or not.

Especially in the retail world. People come and go all the time.

Don't say anything until you do have the next job.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Worked for Hank... people at White Castle had no idea he was going to McDonald's until he left

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

fj, no I'll echo what others have said, with emphasis. No way in hell should you tell anyone there that you're looking for another job. Personally, I wouldn't even try that as a leverage tactic for more money. You really can only do that once with a given employer, and even then, it's dicey on whether you'll get a sufficient raise to make it worth it. So do yourself a favor and zip it about your job search. Find another job and give them two weeks. You owe them nothing more than that.

As for the other, here's hoping it won't be as bad as you're expecting. My experience has been that my fears were usually worse than what actually ended up happening. Having that cold one in the fridge for afterward is a good idea, though.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

My philosophy, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. I think you can use this for your situation.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Re: Way to go, farmerj -- MINOR UPDATE

I can stand the heat, I just needed to prepare myself for the bitch out -- that never happened.

Before the boss had a chance to yell at me, I did exactly what everyone told me not to and told her I had to start looking for another job. She understood my reasoning and....didn't care.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it. She's always telling me that I can't be replaced because nobody else really knows my position.

Oh well. I have the weekend off. Monday starts another week of sitting on pins and needles.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You don't really owe them two weeks either. It's a nice courtesy, of course. And of course, give as much notice as possible, but if there's a better opportunity, get to that job.

Remember, your employer doesn't give you two weeks notice when they are going to fire up. Most of the time, it's one or two hour notice.

And fjerome, your boss probably didn't care that you were looking for another job because he/she is so used to it, since this particular job is in retail (like you said earlier). Lots of high turnover rates there.

7. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Take your lumps. Kiss their feet. Tell them it won't happen again and why. Then spin it into the wonderful ideas you have to avoid such a scenario again, and then vaguely explain all of the other ideas you'd like to implement — before heading out the door.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Slap's a wise man here. Been there, done this. Boss called my bluff, and I was not better off for it.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Re: Way to go, farmerj -- MINOR UPDATE

If this were true, your pay stub would reflect it.

Retail jobs are like newspapers. They'll make another one tommorrow.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's a first...

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Why am I thinking of blind squirrels and acorns all of a sudden?

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The graveyards are filled with indispensible men.

Women, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted