1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Way Cool Story Of The day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Big deal. They don't write. They never call.

However, Bill Conlin does keep a condo there, I hear.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Don't know if anyone ever watched the old Cosmos series with Carl Sagan, but in one episode, he did a mathematical formula of the liklihood of potentially habitable planets (not life, but capable of supporting life) within the galaxy. Multiply that by the number of potential galaxies and you get an idea of the number of planets capable of supporting life.

With so many places fitting the bill, surely this isn't the only with that actually has life.

And if there's another universe besides ours? You've got to believe that only increases the chances. Very exciting news, indeed.

3. Exciting? Yes. Interesting? Yes.

But OK, now there's better proof there might be more life out there. What can we do about it? Other than the 'wow' factor, what does this all really mean?

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'll put it a different way...

What if we found conclusive proof that there's other life out there. Wouldn't that and shouldn't that motivate us to reach out? Shouldn't we do all we can to speed up the process of space exploration?

Not that 8 billion light years is reachable, but it's like hearing a voice at the other end of the forest and walking the whole way without ever looking at what's around us. If we have an "ultimate" destination, even one that's billions of miles away, shouldn't we think about starting that journey with a couple of steps?

We need to expand our space exploration, not curtail it. Revelations like this should spur greater exploration.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Can you imagine some alien sitting there 8 billion years from now, seeing some tripe come across their TV set?

"Man, does this U.S. TV suck!"

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It means that it's another step in the infinite possibilities of human discovery. It means theories and ideas developed now, as we speak, will be the foundation for scientists 10 generations from now to further build on. That could mean something as simple as mapping, or it could mean something as preposterous (right now) as space travel to other galaxies and universes.

It means that every time we unlock another one of science's beautiful undiscovered mysteries, we realize behind that door are billions of other mysteries. It's fascinating.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thank you DD. Much more convincing than what I said, and in fewer words. I swear, I used to be a good writer.

8. And, as any good Trekker knows:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As any good trekker knows....

Red X?

10. Spock with a beard.
    It's up there now, Commodore.

Draft saved Draft deleted