1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Way cool story from Uncle Lou

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jun 3, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

While on a deep-sea fishing trip with my family last weekend, I had an amazing conversation with my great uncle, Uncle Louis. Lou, for short.

My grandfather's brother was an Army aviator in Vietnam, spent most of his tour near Khe Sanh and has stories for days. White-bearded and about 70, Uncle Lou is full of laughs, loves cold beer, and is still in great health -- other than the signature aviator bad back.

He told me a story this weekend about some of his time in Khe Sanh with 2nd Squadron, 17th Cavalry, or 2-17 Cav, for short. He and his crew -- which consisted of another pilot -- were shot down twice in one day during a mission somewhere (I can't remember the name).

But the coolest story was that he made the cover of Newsweek in 1971, while preparing to depart for a mission from Khe Sanh.

http://www.alphatroopalumni.com/MemoriesofKheSanh.html

He said he doesn't have a copy of the magazine, and I'd love to be able to get him a copy and frame it with some other Army memorabilia (unit flag, map of Vietnam, etc.), but I have no idea where to begin.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

What if you called or wrote to Newsweek, told them the story, and see if they could help out?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Uncle Lou? Are you related to 21?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

1. That's pretty damn cool.

2. A quick Google shows four copies of that very magazine were recently sold on eBay in the $25 range.

3. Catch anything?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There is a lot to be learned when you can find guys that are willing to talk about their Nam experiences.

Good luck in your hunt.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

7. three_bags_full

I googled it, first, but couldn't find anything. I've emailed the collector who sold those magazines.

Yeah, we caught about 600 pounds. Mostly amberjack and some vermillion snapper (Reds didn't come into season until Monday :( ).

8. three_bags_full

I called the person at Newsweek who's responsible for back issues. Left a message. They likely won't have it, from what I read on their Web site.

Draft saved Draft deleted