1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watson takes on "Jeopardy!"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Feb 14, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

IBM guys are LOVING this.

Love the wagers by Watson on Daily Doubles — $6,235

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Watson missed big time in Final Jeopardy. He wasn't even in the right country with his guess.

But he kept his lead, since the wager was less than a $1000.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Be interesting to know how he got things screwed up on that one. Does Toronto have two airports? If so, what are their names?

4. Watson

Watson New Member

What is an ass kicking?

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

I have been informed by a number of irate Canadians that indeed it does. Lester B. Pearson Airport is the primary, however. I have no clue how Watson even got Toronto on the radar - if you eliminate Los Angeles (which has seven airports in the metro, even though only two offer international departures) there are really only five possible answers: NYC, Chicago, DC, Dallas and Houston.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My guess is he only considers the question and not the category, and since the question, I believe just said "city" and not "U.S. city."

7. lisa_simpson

If that's the case, that's a significant flaw in the programming.

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

The category was "U.S. Cities" and the clue was: "Its largest airport was named for a World War II hero; its second for a World War II battle."

IBM posted this explanation for the mistake:

David Ferrucci, the manager of the Watson project at IBM Research, explained during a viewing of the show on Monday morning that several of things probably confused Watson. First, the category names on Jeopardy! are tricky. The answers often do not exactly fit the category. Watson, in his training phase, learned that categories only weakly suggest the kind of answer that is expected, and, therefore, the machine downgrades their significance. The way the language was parsed provided an advantage for the humans and a disadvantage for Watson, as well. "What US city" wasn't in the question. If it had been, Watson would have given US cities much more weight as it searched for the answer. Adding to the confusion for Watson, there are cities named Toronto in the United States and the Toronto in Canada has an American League baseball team. It probably picked up those facts from the written material it has digested. Also, the machine didn't find much evidence to connect either city's airport to World War II. (Chicago was a very close second on Watson's list of possible answers.) So this is just one of those situations that's a snap for a reasonably knowledgeable human but a true brain teaser for the machine.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/15/watson-final-jeopardy_n_823795.html

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Poor Ferruci, he sounds like McKittrick trying to explain why W.O.P.R was ready to launch nuclear missiles at the Soviets.

10. lisa_simpson

That reads to me as a very weak explanation for a significant flaw in Watson's programming, especially vis-a-vis interpreting contextual clues and correlation of information. Final Jeopardy categories don't get much more straightforward than the one on tonight's show, and even when the writers do make the categories more vague/cutesy, it's often because anything more specific would make the intended answer too obvious. They're not deliberately trying to mislead the contestants.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

For what it's worth, one of Toronto's airports is named after a war hero. It's the smaller of the two airports and the hero was from the First World War, mind you.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Saw the show tonight. Thought it was interesting. I also think Jeopardy is a more interesting show when three human contestants are going for the championship.

Still, I applaud them for trying something different.

Draft saved Draft deleted