1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watson takes on "Jeopardy!"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

NOVA's entire 53 minute special on Watson is online.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/smartest-machine-on-earth.html

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If I understood Trebek's explanations during Monday's show, Watson is given the text as it's being read to the other two contestants. I assume his processors are working during this time, which would be an advantage.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

They've been promoting this for months and I've wanted to watch it. So, an elderly family member who I've been driving around because she can't right now (she's been sick) said she wants to go to the store. I tell her sure, but I'd like to be back by 7:30 to see "Jeopardy!"

I tell her that I want to pick her up at 5:30-ish. She isn't ready until 6. She has to criss-cross the big box store, slowly.

We get home at 7:45. Grrrrrrrrr.....

At least I got to see the second half of the show - and I'm not getting interrupted for these next two shows.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ken and the other guy were on a talk show here in LA yesterday and they agreed that this detail was THEIR best advantage; they said the human brain can still process that kind of information faster than a computer.

They said their second advantage was being able to adapt to earlier answers -- which proved to be a problem for Watson last night.

They said they knew pop culture questions better than Watson, as well. Apparently the played a few practice rounds sometime in the past month or so.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The questions are of standard difficulty. Expect them to remain so.

On core data-base-type questions, Watson's going to have an edge, except when the two live players decide a category is so much to their advantage that they'll look to buzz in on speculation.

Doubt Watson will win, unless the Final Jeopardy question is basic database material, which it usually isn't. Quality live contestants still have a meaningful edge in questions requiring subtle, logical connections, of which last night's bottom half of the board featured quite a few.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380351,00.asp

[​IMG]

"Indiana, we are simply passing through history. This ... this is history."

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Jennings' entertaining reader chat on the experience in the Washington Post

http://live.washingtonpost.com/jeopardy-ken-jennings.html

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Watson's cleaning up so far. $23K-plus. Brad at $3800 and Ken just got to $1200.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Jennings looked a bit frustrated here as Day 2 kicks off with Double Jeopardy. Both humans are having serious trouble getting a buzz in, and Watson is on a roll.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

This is getting stupid. Wow.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Would love to know how Watson determines his wagers.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Only a machine could clean up on that hedgehogs category.

This is a bad omen, the robots are coming. Destroying the human robots among us.

Draft saved Draft deleted