1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watered down playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micke77, Feb 25, 2009.

1. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Every team makes the playoffs in some sports here. It is sad because they don't have a chance most times and it is a waste of money.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Same thing in Kansas. Six classes. 6A and 5A have 32 teams, 4A, 3A and 2A have 64 each and 1A has the rest, which is about 100.

Because 1A is larger, it's got a Regional round that is being played this week. The winner and runner-up both go to a Sub-State (different ones, though, which can make for creative scheduling if the girls' team from a school makes the finals at one Sub-State and the boys' team is in the finals at another). 1A is the only class where a team can lose and still advance and only in the Regionals.

Sub-State is the first round for the other five classes. Four-team tournaments in 6A and 5A and also for 1A after the Regional round. Eight teams in 4A, 3A, and 2A.

Each state tournament has eight teams. First-round losers are out. There are third-place games.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I realize I've been slightly unclear on my earlier statement about the Arkansas playoffs. The way it's been put, district tournaments = the playoffs. No. You have to advance out of district to be considered a "playoff" team. But yes it's true, anyone (depending on districts who allow everyone to play) has a chance, after the regular season is over, to win a state championship.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

That's the problem. Louisiana should have only five classes total, they actually have seven in basketball. They need only four classes in football (Class 4A, 3A, 2A and 1A) and only five classes in basketball (Class 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A and B). Take all of those B and C schools and put them in one classification.

Louisiana has, what, 400 (?) schools in the LHSAA? There's no reason one class should be only 60 schools, as is the case right now. When half of the teams make the playoffs, what's the point. You just as soon put everyone in the playoffs and extend it one week.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Ah, I remember those LHSAA conventions well, back when Louisiana expanded to five football and seven basketball classes. Good times. Or so it seems now.

I covered them for a newspaper, a daily journal of news printed, folded and thrown in people's driveways.

6. Football_Bat

If any state's playoffs need expanded, it's Texas.

The UIL's stated goal is a 2:1 ratio in enrollment from top to bottom within each classification, and yet every classification is in violation. It's worst in 5A, where enrollments range from 2,001 to 5,852 (Plano East).

There was a proposal a year and a half ago to split all classes down the middle in football and district everybody by size into two divisions, but travel in a state the size of Texas would've been ridiculous. Adding a sixth class to a 5-class stste would not increase travel so much.

7. micke77

micke77 Member

Three of the teams in our coverage area were eliminated from the first round last night.
    Yes, as demeaning as it might sound to those who support such teams, I am a much happier person today knowing it's three less teams to deal with at this time of the year when spring sports overlap hoops, hoops overlaps the nearing of spring football, ,etc., etc.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's fun to cover a team if they actually have a chance to go all the way. "Cinderellas" are fun if there was a good reason the team was bad earlier in the season (key player coming back from injury, or a monstrously-tough early schedule). If their only problem was that they sucked earlier, and they advance with lucky wins, the "cinderella story" gets tired after a win or two.

Other than that, I want everybody to take a dirt dive ASAP so we can get our all-area crap wrapped up.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

In New York, it's up to the district to decide the playoffs. Some sports you have to win 40 percent of your games, others everyone gets a crack. Even with the everyone gets in scenario, a lot of coaches will keep their teams out if they don't win at least seven or eight games.

We did have one coach that would put his team in no matter what. Busted the bracket every year, too.

10. Football_Bat

We're out of the girls' playoffs and have only two boys' teams left. But one of those teams is our flagship school, and the other one is in the top 10 in its classification and just beat another top-10 team on Friday.

The good news is, it'll be all over no later than Saturday week because that's when the state tournament ends.

11. micke77

micke77 Member

our city is serving as a one-day host for the girls' semi-finals. the city located 30 minutes from ours has an arena where the D-I school there is hosting the conference tournament. thus, some conflicts. why in the hell the city and the state prep governing body couldn't have figured this might happen is beyond me, but anyway, we have the tourney for one day. and as luck would have it, we don't have a single team from our coverage area who reached the tournament.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Rhode Island is bad.
    First, divisions are split by talent, not school size.
    In girls D-I, there are 15 teams; 12 make the playoffs. D-II has a 40 percent rule - you win 40 percent of league games, you're in; last year we had 19 teams in the playoffs. D-III is awful and all eight teams make the playoffs.
    Boys is the same thing.
    I've talked to the RIIL director about going to a 32-team playoff format - but he thinks it will effect the gate.

Draft saved Draft deleted