1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watered down playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micke77, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We need some representatives from OklahomaSJ to explain their high school playoff system.

The regular season is meaningless, because every team makes the postseason. They start with an Area playoff, then have a District then a Regional (or Area, Regional, then District). Then they have a State tournament.

Area, District and Regional tournaments are double-elimination. So you can lose three times in the postseason and still make State.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So how many teams get out of the district tournaments? In most states, everybody gets one postseason game at the district-tournament level (edit: in team sports other than football). I don't know if you'd legitimately call that making the state playoffs.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Okay, if we aren't calling the districts part of it, then it was 1 out of 4 in my old state and 4 out of 7-8 in my current one.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

It's 32 teams in each classification. We have six classes in Louisiana.

5. micke77

micke77 Member

And every runner-up in districts make it to the playoffs. And yes, these are the state playoffs. Pardon if I didn't mention that. These teams will try and advance into the big state tournament set March 2-7.
    The normal membership for most of our districts is around six, although you have some with eight-to-10.

6. micke77

micke77 Member

Excuse the third straight post on this thread, but I said there are six classes in our state basketball format. It's seven: 5a, 4a, 3a, 2a, 1a, b and c. And there's a grand total of 70 districts that comprise those classifications. I noticed the largest district of any classes is eight schools.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

God only knows. There's four classes with something like 32 districts with 6 teams each.

One team comes out of each district leaving 32 teams in class each in class A, B, C, D.

So five rounds after districts, which must be two rounds with 2 teams getting a bye since there are 6 teams... I'm not really sure because I've never covered prep playoffs in the early rounds. Just the finals and I never paid attention to the start.

Your looking at 7 games max for playoffs. That's for a team that didn't get a district bye, unless they have some wacky way of scheduling that I am overlooking. Most teams that make the title will play 6 games... taking 3 weeks to complete the playoffs.

8. micke77

micke77 Member

This weekend, we have bi-district play. from there,the winners go to regionals early next week. then the quarterfinals the latter part of next week.
    and for the semis and finals, it's the BIG tournament March 9-14. seven classes, 28 total teams. for the girls here, it used to be strictly 16 teams, thus the proverbial "Sweet 16" label. now it's same number as da boys: 28.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Every team in Illinois makes the playoffs.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Oops. I was supposed to go on a Jim Mora-like rant:

PLAYOFFS!!??!?!? P-P-P-PLAYOFFS!?!?!?!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? PLAYOFFS!?!?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Four classes, right about 200 schools per class.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I believe everyone in WVa makes it as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted