1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Waterboarding: Back in the News

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 1, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes, no other presidential administration has ever allowed torture to happen. Bush was the first.

Speaking of insane...

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yes, but the Bush admin codified it as acceptable behaviour. And sent apologists like Rumsfeld out to boast about it in the media.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Says the man who says, "I hope Romney continues using the drone program when he takes office next year." Boise State has a better chance of taking office next year.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If people have no problems with governments torturing enemies, I'm sure leaders of some least-developed nations would welcome you with open arms. You would think we would have gotten past torture as an acceptable tactic, or should is a liberal society just a "quaint" concept?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I watched the piece. Which is how I know how ridiculous you are being.

She went through a litany of things she was able to piece together about the dark period in this country this guy helped usher in. And we don't even know 100 percent of what he did, because he destroyed the evidence and has contradicted everyone who has a different account than he does, and sits with protection of most of it being hidden from the public.

If you find the "Ensure" thing so ridiculous, are you willing to volunteer to put your life in that sadistic moron's hands? Because the Ensure thing was an addendum, in the context of her asking about waterboarding, sleep deprivation for days on end, being kept naked, in stress positions, being shoved in a box with an insect, having an electric drill held to your head, told your female relatives were going to be raped, and what else am I forgetting? ... and on top of it not being fed while you are being subjected to that for months (which is where the Ensure thing came up -- they starved the prisoners and threw them a bottle of Ensure every so often). Put in context, it's fucking hysterical, eh? They were treated like hospital patients!

This guy thought he was defending the practice of torture. Or at least he had the chance to, if he could. Instead he was the worst possible spokesman for torture possible. Genghis Khan could have put in a more winning performance. I don't know if it infuriated me more that this guy, of questionable competence and intelligence, was given that much power to trample on our values, or that he actually did the stupid things that he did.

Stahl did a great job. She knew he couldn't defend torture and it must have been immediately clear that he was full of himself, so she sat back and just presented what she knows (which isn't everything, unfortunately, because this guy not only had carte blanche to do whatever horrible things he wanted, he also destroyed the videotaped evidence) and let the idiot hang himself. He basically told us that he employed techniques without much thought put into any of it. He called everyone who has contradicted his accounts of the effectiveness of what he did, including the FBI, which was privy to a lot of what actually happened, liars. And he essentially said that he put more time and effort into covering his ass by getting lawyers and elected officials to sign their name to it than he actually put into thinking about the morality or even the effectiveness of what he did.

Ensure. Yes, that was what that interview was about.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Transcript:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2102-18560_162-57423533.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I too worked at the CIA and retired from there. That is how I know Jose Rodriguez. I retired prior to the 9/11 attack and also prior to any of the "enhanced interrogations" events. Also, when I knew Jose Rodriguez, it was earlier in his career from his time as the head of the Clandestine Service.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, fuck. Now I'm more curious about your career. Press officer?

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I am a chemist by training - - although I would not like to have to pass my PhD prelim exams again - - and I worked in the Research/Development and Enginnering part of the CIA for my career.

I am NOT a psychologist by any stretch of the imagination but I stand by my original comment that Jose Rodriguez is not insane. I do not subscribe to his views on enhanced interrogation but that would not lead me to conclude that he is insane, irrational or evil.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I just think it's funny that the libs who despised Bush for torturing foreign terrorists have no problem with the fact Obama is blowing up American citizens with no probable cause or benefit of a trial.

The reaction around here had Bush done that to John Walker Lindh would have shut down the internet.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think Angola or Parchmant would be better places.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not from me.

I said Lindh should have been executed.

Ditto for KSM who we should have hooked up to electrodes until his eyes flashed like strobe lights.

Draft saved Draft deleted