1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watchmen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Did I understand them right, that they offed Woodward and Bernstein? They must have, since we apparently had four terms of Nixon.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Won Vietnam via the "use Doctor Manhattan as America's superweapon" method.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I liked it a lot. Visually it's impressive of course, but they do some things even better than the graphic novel. There are some things I would have liked tweaked here or there, but overall, very faithful and surprisingly effective film.

I can see why some people didn't like it. If you go in with no previous knowledge of the characters and events, it can be very confusing and long.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I went in with not much knowledge of it tonight and absolutely loved it. I thought they had a great way of presenting themes and making you question your beliefs, and the attention to detail was outstanding. Was it a little long? Yes, but it wasn't close to being a dealbreaker.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Almost too faithful to the book.
    Would like to have seen Snyder put his stamp on the material.
    But I very much enjoyed it. The GF, who had previously said I could enjoy my Watchmen nerd boner in peace, went along for the ride.
    She, umm, did not like it. The hyperviolence was a turnoff. As was Dr. Manhattan's schlong. But she did enjoy the special effects.

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

While he doesn't outright say so, the Comedian does insinuate that he eliminated Woodward and Bernstein, yes. Comedian's involvement in JFK's assassination was not in the book.

7. Actually, I don't have the book in front of me, but the Comedian does make a joke about "don't ask me about being the Grass Knoll" if I remember correctly.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He does.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

My girlfriend went with her two young kids and they had a blast kicking the chair of the woman sitting in front of them.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed it. The ending was better than the book's ending. It made a lot more sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted