1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watchmen: Eh.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Minor spoiler alert:

The ending will make you either want to read it again to see how the thing came together, or throw it across the room by the sheer absurdity of it. And then you'll want to read it all over again anyway.

2. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Interesting. What about the Silk Spectre/Nite Owl II storyline?

3. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

...and Tales of the Black Freighter? ...and Under the Hood?

(face is clear, thanks. but no, I don't get laid. Like, ever.)

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hackman's portrayal sucked. He played Luthor as a clown/buffoon, and you never got the feeling he even disliked Superman very much. Whatever version of Luthor you want to go with, one constant has always been that he hated Supes' guts.

Spacey was much better in "Returns" -- while of course they had to go back to the real-estate con man bullshit in Singer's quest to regurgitate the Reeve movies -- he had a much harder edge than Hackman, and he did convey the impression he actively detested Superman.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

As I said, Hackman's portrayal fit in with the vibe of those older films. He played well off Reeve's straight man. Now . . .Otis was a bit too much.

Spacey was just fine, but was betrayed by a decidedly mediocre film.

6. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

For the record, I stole that comparison from a woman.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Well, she's right. It does look like a V with tentacles.

8. sportschick

I went tonight, and I was a bit disappointed in the ending. Not like the book, and I didn't think the new ending was better. Plus the people who helped you realize the horror of the ending, all the peripheral characters, well, with no time to develop their characters, their deaths weren't as powerful. Whoever said it shoulda been a miniseries was right.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A bunch of people die at the end!? Spoiler alert, dammit!

:)

10. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

Supposedly Black Freighter will be an animated straight to DVD bit that will release around the same time as Watchmen on DVD. Under the Hood is going to be the name for the special features that they do for the DVD release.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

spoiler alert: I thought the new ending was *loads* better.

It made so much more sense to pin the deaths on Manhattan, forcing him to agree to leave, rather than pinning them on some otherwise unmentioned monster who appears out of nowhere in the narrative created from the mind of a psychic (also created out of nowhere in the narrative) and poorly explained, causing Manhattan to feel so emo that he leaves.

12. sportschick

Under the Hood is going to be a faux documentary on either the Black Freighter DVD or the movie DVD.

Draft saved Draft deleted