1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watchmen: Eh.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I believe it was first published as a limited series with something like a dozen issues.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Watchmen wasn't published as a novel.
    The book is the collected issues. At one time, the book had the covers and variant covers, but I don't know if they still do that.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just found it on Wiki. The miniseries began in 1986 and trade paperback was released in '87.

4. outofplace

And you are basing that on what exactly?

So far, the Marvel movieverse (Iron Man and Incredible Hulk) has been pretty good.

5. JayFarrar

I have yet to see who they have cast for Thor and Captain America.
    So I'm not proclaiming epic fail, yet. Who they cast will matter and how they handle the CGI, mostly for Thor, will be an indicator.
    On the other hand, I'm one of those weirdos, who actually enjoyed Ang Lee's Hulk movie, so I might not be the best judge.

I was reading a British movie magazine and it couldn't stop gushing about Watchmen. They had seen an early cut, and the article noted that Snyder has several versions planned. The theatrical release. A longer cut for DVD and then a special cut approaching four hours for the obsessive. Or truly crazed.

Outtie have you watched the cartoons Marvel has been producing. Hulk Vs and etc? Surprisingly solid. Made by fanbois for fanbois.

6. outofplace

I saw Hulk vs. Wolverine on Youtube. It was on there in pieces. I'm not sure if it still is. I enjoyed it. The use of Deadpool was perfect. I didn't like the characterization of Sabertooth, but overall I enjoyed it.

I'm not much ofa Thor fan, so I didn't bother with that one since I couldn't find it online.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Iron Man' was fun.
    'The Hulk' stunk - both versions.
    'The Fantastic Four' stunk.
    'Ghost Rider' stunk.
    'Spider-Man' movies were good, good and Ok.
    'Elektra' stunk.
    'Daredevil' stunk.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Norton was good as The Hulk
    Iron Man was great.

I read somewhere there is a ton of nudity in Watchmen. Can TigerVols confirm this?

9. JayFarrar

No thoughts on the X-Men movies? Or Punisher? Or the Blade series?

Marvel has a lot of movies out. I'm actually surprised how many live-action films are out.

And on Watchmen, the British magazine said Snyder kept a graphic rape scene in. And that the movie had tons of nudity.

10. Mizzougrad96

Well, the lovely Carla Gugino is in this one, so we'll see if she reprises her nudity from Sin City.

11. outofplace

By Marvel movieverse, I am speaking only of the ones actually controlled by Marvel which are set in the same continuity. So far, that means Iron Man and Incredible Hulk.

12. Mizzougrad96

Two for two as far as I'm concerned, even though Iron Man was much better than Hulk.

Draft saved Draft deleted