1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watching U.S. Open tennis live - seeking wisdom

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sirvaliantbrown, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Has anyone watched U.S. Open tennis from bad, bad seats at Arthur Ashe Stadium? If so, how's the view? Can you see anything?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That stadium is horrible, in my opinion. Way too big for tennis, and they push most of the fans up at the top of the Himalayas, above the boxed-in areas. I don't have a lot of experience with the tennis venues, but if there is a less intimate tennis setting on earth, I'd be really surprised. There are A LOT of bad seats in Arthur Ashe.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Yeah:

[​IMG]

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Last year I sat in the row that was about fourth from the top. I was able to see better than I thought it'd be, although it's definitely way the hell up there. You can tell what's going on and hear the hits but they're obviously not real great

I'm going Tuesday with a ticket that lets you go all around the grounds and then upper parts of Ashe. The coolest part is going to the side courts, because you can be sitting front row, right next to the court and the players, and you can catch some highly ranked players. And even if it's people who aren't as recognizable or ranked, being that close is really cool, because you can really see the power they have.

5. The Big Ragu

Agree Small Town. I am going labor day weekend and just walking the outer courts. You get so close, can settle in on any really good matches easily and you do get to see some of the really good players, even on the outer courts.

6. I love watching outer-court matches, as I've done at the tournament in my hometown over the years. But I can only make it to the tournament for the late rounds, when pretty much everything is on a stadium court, and I can't afford anything better than a way-up-there seat.

7. My main question: can you appreciate the tennis when you're way up there? What can you see and not see?

8. The Big Ragu

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think you'll definitely appreciate the tennis. I saw Serena play last year in the nosebleed seats, and you could definitely tell she plays at a different level, even from up there. They're better than when the Wolves first came to Minnesota and played in the Metrodome. Those seats were ridiculous. The only person I was ever able to make out was Mark Eaton and his giant head.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's about the same view I had at Indian Wells when I went, Ragu. Paid too much, but it did allow me to stalk see Hingis once before she retired.

The best part about attending a tennis tournament is walking around the grounds, as STG said, and seeing the outer-court matches. If you're going to sit way the hell up, do it at the final. Any match before that ain't worth it. It's not like baseball or football or hockey, where being up high gives you a great perspective of all the action. Not much fun in tennis.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

So it was after seeing you that she failed the drug test.

Interesting. :D

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I go to the combined ATP-WTA event in Miami every year and almost never enter the stadium (and even nosebleed seats there are pretty good).

The outer courts are just so much better. Only one bad thing: My favorite court is the Grandstand court, but the women were effectively exiled from there a few years ago. Now it's almost all men's matches.

Draft saved Draft deleted