1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watching the SB without turning "it" off

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by didntdoit19, Feb 4, 2008.

1. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Like any red-blooded American, I watched the Super Bowl.

But, like what happens to me when I watch any other sporting event I'm not covering, I started thinking about what I would do if I were covering the game. Things like what sidebars I'd pitch, angle to my gamer, questions I'd ask, et cetera...

Is this a good thing for my career, that I'm always thinking about my craft? Or does it have the potential to drive me crazy and ruin my mind?

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who deals with this.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think it's a very good thing. It shows that you're thinking and coming up with angles. And maybe it's something that the staff writer at your paper who is at the game didn't think of. I can't fathom how that would every be a negative.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I think it's a good thing, sure. I didn't think too much about that stuff tonight, namely because I was working on recruiting capsules while I watched it, but I did think near the end that it would have been a fun game to cover.

At the same time, it is nice to disengage from time to time.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Hell yeah it's a good thing, I watched the whole game thinking about that.

Got into an argument about it. One of my coworkers said that you need to go with the typical underdog type coluymn.

Today, I'd write about the premade 19-0 shirts that tell the whole story. I believe they send them all to Africa, and I think nothing is more fascinating...

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I'd say it's a good and a bad thing. Thinking that way during a game means your passionate and always trying to improve. On the other hand, if you're always thinking about work and not enjoying sporting events as much as you used to, it could lead to burnout.

I used to think about stories and angles when watching a team I used to cover on TV. It got easier to enjoy the game as the season went on because I realized that I could enjoy watching them and that I didn't have the info anymore that I used to have as a beat guy.

Our biz is stressful enough that you must give yourself time to relax and enjoy your off time. That might need to include not watching sports (though who doesn't watch the SB?). Our profession is tough though because we get into it because we love sports, but what we used to enjoy for fun is now work and you have to draw the line somewhere.

So yeah, my answer is a little of column A, a little of column B. It's good, but it can be bad if you don't give yourself a break and start to dislike sports.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm old and jaded, but I think it is a very, very bad thing.

It's one thing to think that way when you're covering a game but to not be able to watch any spoirting event without thinking "what would I do" conveys to me an obsessiveness that will burn you out before too long.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I think the thing to do now is read as many stories -- mainbars, sidebars, columns, etc., and see how other people did it.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The original poster reminds me the guy who answers the "what are you weaknesses?" interview question with, "Sometimes I just try too hard and care too much." :)

9. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

No, I'm worried that it's going to kill my enjoyment of sports. I'm not trying to sound like one of "those" people.

I even do the same thing when I play sports video games. That can't be healthy.

It's a problem I'm concerned about, that's all.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's over the line.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Yeah, plus we all know video game characters suck at post game interviews and the access sucks. So half your story ideas won't work anyways.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This is the main reason I finally abandoned "film critic" as a professional goal. I would never again be able to just sit back, stuff my face with popcorn and enjoy a movie as sheer entertainment.

Well, that and the miserable job prospects these days for "film critic" wannabes.

Draft saved Draft deleted