1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watching the game at the local bar with regular people stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Here's my thought on these stories, generally:

If the writer is good enough to make a good story out of this assignment, you probably have a better assignment for her.

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Nicely put.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

What did I miss?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nothing to see here, move along people. ;)

6. Montezuma's Revenge

That's a great way of putting it. Just because a writer manages to pull off a stupid story idea doesn't mean the idea isn't still stupid.

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

True, but there's always the possibility that the rookie reporter may wind up interviewing Haywood Jablome or Mike Hunt. :D

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Any readers who care what Joe Schmoe at the bar thinks of the game can go to the bar and ask him themselves.

9. scribe21

scribe21 Member

Don't like these kind of stories. They stink, plus most ME's have NO clue what covering sports is or what it involves. My ME actually thinks that chess is a sport. ... LOL. Publisher, who is also the editor, sided with me on that one. I will say, those ME's are very interesting sometimes. Anyone else have the same problem at times?

10. Taylee

Taylee Member

If the writer is good, then the story will be good, generally speaking.
    Is it a bullshit assignment? You bet.
    Have most of us done them? Yep.
    As long as there are editors (and some writers, for that matter) who think they are reaching out to the community by doing these stories, they'll still be written.
    It's like any other bullshit assignment. Find the best possible angle and do the best possible job. Until you're the one making the calls that's all you can do.

Draft saved Draft deleted