1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watching the game at the local bar with regular people stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

The higher-ups here are all about us doing these types of stories, and I just don't understand why. Trying to put a local spin on a national event is great, but you don't deserve to get your name in the paper because you can drink beer, eat greasy food and watch TV. How is that news?

Your thoughts?

Edit: I should mention that we are not in one of the 30 NFL cities.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I like the photos of the patrons puking after drinking too much.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Those are so played out. No paper worth its salt should mess with 'em.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Bless you, sir, and all that you stand for.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Only ever did this once. But it was the fall in which the NHL returned after the lockout.

I interviewed fans and bar owners - a couple which were ex-NHLers.

It was the ME's idea, but I didn't frown upon it. It was more than just "people watching the big game." Those stories don't seem worth it to me.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I did some of those "man-in-the-street" type stories back in my younger days. What a fucking waste of time.

I remember I had to do one after our local NBA team hired a new coach. The first three people I asked about the hire -- in a sports bar, no less -- had no fucking idea who the guy even was.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did it once -- for the last episode of Cheers, where I sat at the end of the bar at the place everyone knew my name and wrote on the TRS-80, drinking with them like I would any other night...

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

There is nothing more worthless to our industry as man on the street stories.

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

shitting on a story out of hand is a bad idea. in the right hands, anything can work. during the world cup, everyone and their uncle something like this tried this (portugal's playing--let's go to the portuguese bar!!). many were crap, but some worked.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Go to the bar with the irregular people; that's where the stories are.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't mind if the news-siders do 'em ... as long as we don't have to look at 'em.

Any SE worth his salt should fight his people having to do them with every thread of his being.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You should go to a gay bar for the story. Bet that would make for a more interesting story than a regular run-of-the-mill sports bar :D

Draft saved Draft deleted