1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watching Gannett, and I see a bad moon rising

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think some of the argument is that if you fold/merge some of these papers, Gannett's hope is that the circulation is absorbed and then they can start charging more for advertising.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The worst thing you can do to a brand is a name change.
    Folding a successful smaller paper, to prop up the money-losing prestige metro is nuts.
    It happens, but it is insane.

3. Mizzougrad96

This is my understanding of how it works.

If you get the Murfreesboro paper (just using the papers mentioned previously), one day you would just start getting the Tennessean. This is similar to what Gannett has talked about for some time about folding a handful of medium-sized papers and then producing a wrap that they would put around USA Today.

On no level do I think any of this is a good idea, but this is what's rumored.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That could be bad because the people of Murfreesboro may want more local content. Which is probably why they are hitting their budget.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Just got home from Illinois.

Unlocked the front door, oh boy ....

6. Mizzougrad96

For the record, Murfreesboro-Nashville was just an example...

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was generalizing from your previous example.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Regardless, if it happens, some people are going to wake up and wonder what the fuck happened to their paper.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Hey, you're still alive.

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Buyouts offered at the Honolulu Advertiser: http://www.starbulletin.com/news/20081020_buyouts_offered_at_the_advertiser.html

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

FYI, they're anonymously quoting our threads in today's open comments on the Gannett blog. I was only kind of concerned until someone asked for the site and said anonymous person pointed them in our direction.

Heads up, folks.

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/monday-oct-20-got-news-or-question.html

12. Mizzougrad96

Wow, my post made that site... That's kind of frightening...

Draft saved Draft deleted