1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watch out deskers! (hope this isn't a d_b)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by forever_town, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I was reading the old Washington Star one Sunday and for several college football boxscores where the paper didn't use full boxes, there were such lines as "delete this shit" and "cut this crap" where the individual stats would normally go.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You are not. You are correct. School handled it the right way.

While I was SE, we had a volleyball coach call in a bogus box. His team lost in the last home game of the season and he called it in as a victory with a bunch of made-up stats for his seniors. Had a message waiting for me the next a.m. from the winning coach, who could not have been nicer. I told her to get me the correct box and we'd run it with a story the next day, which we did.
    The school did NOT remove the coach, which infuriated me. You just don't do that shit. Most of those kids, that's the only time they'll ever be in the paper. It is a big deal to them. It is important that newspapers take it seriously and the coaches they rely on for the info take it just as seriously.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I would have hated to be the stringer who screwed up and left one of the names in by mistake.

Draft saved Draft deleted