1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watch out deskers! (hope this isn't a d_b)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by forever_town, Nov 20, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Perhaps some folks consider (cq) to be archaic. What I'd type is a note saying "this is how subject spells name." In private discussions among staff, you can say how idiotic a spelling is to your heart's content. Don't dare put it somewhere so that there's even a .01 percent chance of it getting in because chances are, it will get in.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, F_T. A simple CQ is all you need.
    If any writer or editor doesn't know what that means, send him/her back to Journalism 101. Or, better yet, can him for making "idiot" comments,

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who was the athlete named DeClercq or something like that a while back? I wonder how often that showed up without the cq on the en

4. forever_town

What about Dwyane Wade?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Andrew DeClercq(cq) :D .. 6-10 center from Florida who had 10-year career as NBA jouorneyman.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Probably just a typo on his birth certificate.

7. forever_town

So you're saying he's Oprah Winfrey? ;)

8. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

About 15 years ago a friend/fellow sports writer was goofing around one night and typed up a hockey summary that included the names of everyone in our department as having scored a goal. Could never figure out how, but, it somehow got in. We both went home oblivious and when I came in the next afternoon knew immediately by the looks I was getting that something was wrong. No one in the seats of power ever said a word and no reader ever called. I was scared shitless the whole day that we were going to get called in and blasted.
    It was the last time I every was involved in fucking around with type.

9. There's about one in 10,000 chance stuff like this gets published.

Too bad we do 365-356 editions a year.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i've seen plenty of times when people change the spelling of their own name.

but the writer - as i see he himself has since agreed - is still the idiot.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Moddy can probably clarify this - and it's not the same thing at all - but didn't the T-D get a lacrosse call-in a few years back where the coach made up fake names to bash the refs? Collegiate or somebody like that? I think the coach actually got fired, but I could be misremembering.

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Spnited: we have a note system we use for things like that. I don't think cq is used as much anymore. It's archaic.

Draft saved Draft deleted