1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watch out deskers! (hope this isn't a d_b)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by forever_town, Nov 20, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Big time 'oops' by a local paper.

I'd think the parents who gave the guy that first name should be the idiots if anyone were to be blasted for the spelling of a first name. However, the guy who wrote the slug IS the only real idiot.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Hope whoever did it is fired.

Don't type it on the page if you wouldn't want to see it in print.

3. bwright

bwright Member

I hate when people spell their names like idiots just to be different.

The worst I'd seen until yesterday was Bradleigh. Ugh. But yesterday, I had to recap a game with the first name Brittineii. I wanted to vomit.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you don't like the spelling of a person's name, wouldn't that make the parents idiots? Not the person with the idiotic spelling?

So that would mean the writer in this case was doubly idiotic.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

And whatever happened to (cq) to indicate the odd spelling is correct?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It has been replace by: (this whacked out spelling is correct, though idiotic)

8. bwright

bwright Member

Ha.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I saw a part-timer on the desk one night with a fake box on his screen. The "names" were all crass and nasty and definitely the types of things you didn't want in your newspaper.
    So of course I flipped my lid.
    Turns out, the guy who trained all our part-timers made up fake boxes for all the sports we took, with similar names.
    I immediately issued an order to get them out of the system within 24 hours. Put xxxxxx in for names. We'd look stupid but a lot less so if that got in.
    The guy who created the boxes simply didn't understand my reaction or all the fuss.

I was not the SE at the time, I was an assistant. The SE followed up my note with one that basically said: Don't think he's kidding. If there's anything left of you when he gets done, there won't be when I get done.

You have to be a remarkable dumbass to type anything into a work computer that you wouldn't want to see in your paper. And, yeah, while those names are a pain in the ass and stupid, people can spell their names any stupid way they please. Fred as Phreddz (silent z)? Bob as Bawbbb? Deal with it. Type it in without comment.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Right on, Mawddie

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's Mawddeigh! His parents will be so mad.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fixed

Draft saved Draft deleted