1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wasn't Time's Man of the Year decided January 15?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 16, 2009.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

::)

SportsJournalists.com circa 1989

PDB: I think it should go to the Tiananmen Square protesters for daring to stand up to an oppressive regime.

BTE: Would you feel the same if China was a democracy and the protesters were backing Communism?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Communism" is not the opposite of democracy; "totalitarianism" is. It just so happens that the most famous communist states were totalitarian regimes. But there's no rule that it has to be that way.

Is someone democratically elects a communist form of government . . . that's fine by me.

I was just struck by the "rah-rah" approach given to the Iranian protesters and their cause for a couple of reasons:

1. Mousavi really did lose. Only the margin of his loss appeared suspicious. The protesters were demanding that a losing candidate be put in power. I have a hard time with that.

2. The difference in Mousavi's ideology and Ahmadinejad's is so tiny that it's arguably irrelevant. So why all the love for the former?

Draft saved Draft deleted