1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wasn't Time's Man of the Year decided January 15?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 16, 2009.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I think it's going to be something more esoteric, like the stock market.

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

I agree. It will be something like the American homeowner who has had to weather the economic storm

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I could see them doing the aging baby boomer. The protested against Vietnam, now they're protesting against Health Care reform. Despite ceding the White House to a younger generation, they're still active - rescuing journalists from North Korea, landing planes on the Hudson River, coaching teams to NBA titles and contending for the British Open.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Screw the baby boomers! They raised their kids to not fight for or work for anything. They let them grow up to believe everything is owed to them.
    Bad parenting shouldn't be rewarded.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I hate them too Red, but you saw the coverage of Woodstock, they're not going to let it go.

6. RedSmithClone

I agree I just can't stand when baby boomers I know try to say they are the greatest generation. It makes me ill. Shit, my parents are baby boomers. Somehow I learned more lessons from my grandparents. My brother and partially my sister just put the hand out and expect something from everyone - work, personal and government. It irritates the ever-living shit outa me.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is a great choice.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Someone will emerge in the final five months. Right now I have no idea who that will be.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Sullenberger was a great story but that's not going to get you man of the year.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Everyone on here likes the idea of the Iranian protesters, but . . .

Would you feel the same if Mousavi had won amid suspicious election tabulations and the protesters were backing Ahmadinejad?

11. RedSmithClone

My money at this point is still on Beck.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The "greatest generation" is the PARENTS of the baby boomers, the generation whose last survivors are essentially dying off the planet as we speak -- the generation born 1910-1930, the generation which had to survive the First Depression in its young adulthood, then had to go fight (and win) World War II, then was sent off to Korea, and finally built a period of fairly uninterrupted prosperity in the 1950s and 60s.

You're dead on about the boomers (of which I am one).

Draft saved Draft deleted