1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wasn't Time's Man of the Year decided January 15?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If they select anyone other than Sullenberger, time to toss my subscription.

The helicopter/plane collision adds yet another layer to the obvious difficulty of the man's accomplishment.

There is no one else who can be in this ballpark.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Simon, where the hell did this come from? Non sequitor if there ever was one, man. Not judging... just wondering why anyone thinks about this in August.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I dig Sully as much as anyone, but isn't the criteria the person who has most shaped the events of the year?
    It won't be Obama, don't know who the leader in the clubhouse is at this point. Glenn Beck?

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'd say a man who did the heavy lifting on saving about 100 lives has shaped quite a few events this year.

But I'm picking up what you're putting down, Dan.

5. Giggity

Giggity Member

Why wouldn't it be Obama?

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not quite sure how the events of last weekend have any relation to what Sully did or put it in any greater perspective.

7. DanOregon

The only person who won two years in a row was Nixon, who shared the second honor with Kissinger for China.
    I've always thought the idea of naming the winner of the Presidential election before they were inaugurated was stupid - better to do it after their first year. In 2000 they took cover shots of Bush and Gore and, like the rest of us, let the Supreme Court pick the winner.
    Time will pull something out of its ass, something trendy to generate cable chatter.

8. Giggity

Giggity Member

Maybe the Twitter founder, then. (Biz Stone, I just looked it up)

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's You's year again.

I'd give it to The Predatory Lender (they do say shaped for better or worse, right?) Or maybe the inventor of Twitter (that is, if I were just a bit faster).

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree. Sully was flying a distressed commercial airliner. Tough to compare to two able-bodied small personal/tourism aircraft.

Given our short-attention span society, I could see someone whose heroism was in January getting nudged out of this kind of award.

11. DanOregon

The Lobbyist

The Mistress

The Dead Celebrities

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Ahem...

TIM TEBOW! ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted