1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wasn't Scott Mitchell already The Biggest Loser?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Aug 6, 2014.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Among Lions QBs in the 90's I'd still take Erik Kramer, Dave Krieg, Gus Frerotte and Charlie Batch over Mitchell. He was better than Andre Ware though.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Anyone who goes 4,338 yards, 32 TDs in any NFL season doesn't have to explain himself to anyone that hasn't done that, I would think. And he's probably had drinks sent to his table by Drip, so he's got that going for him, too ...

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He had a 27-30 record as a starter for the Lions.

Matthew Stafford's record as a starter for the Lions is 24-37.

So, is it safe to say he blew through $36 million?

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

He was supposed to be the missing piece for a team that was loaded for a Super Bowl run.
    But Jesus, reading those MLive comments you'd think he was Kwame Kilpatrick.
    Dude with five kids just collecting bills and trying to get his health in order.
    The problem is Lions fans view all their recent quarterbacks as an amorphous blob of suck, even if the guys had some fleeting success.
    When they see Scott Mitchell they see Joey Sunshine and Chuck Long.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone else would remember this.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Does it matter to you the team QB's have around them or should we start list QB's instead of teams in the standings?

7. Morris816

Morris816 Member

The last line: Not sure what you are referring to.

Stafford got $41.5 million in guaranteed money when he signed his deal. Mitchell got $8 million.

8. RecoveringJournalist

Never expected to see a tennis player on that Glory Days list.

9. RecoveringJournalist

It's just a stat. Settle down Beavis.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Appears that he ate his way through it.

11. RecoveringJournalist

It's a pretty good concept for The Biggest Loser to have former athletes, but virtually zero people have heard of the majority of the people in that cast.

Mitchell, Woody, Garrison are the only ones most people have heard of. I've heard of Hayden, but I doubt many others have.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Getting people you might have heard of is a fairly recent innovation with The Biggest Loser, though they're getting desperate to use it as a hook. Last season had American Idol's Ruben Studdard, who was voted off the show... but then the producers found a gimmick to get him back on.

Antone Davis was more successful on The Biggest Loser than he was in the NFL. He lost 200-some pounds and was runner-up. Roger Shultz, the former 'Bama center, was runner-up, too, losing another 200 pounds. Actually, you could probably stock that show with ex-football players. I can't find it, but I remember SI have a story a few years ago about the massive weight gain and/or weight loss, particularly by linemen, after they stop playing football. Basically, the ones who gained weight were eating like they still needed to be 300-pound linemen, while the ones who lost weight, weren't.

Draft saved Draft deleted