1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Times sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Mar 21, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I subscribe to my local 10,000-circ daily and the agate page might be the one I spend the most time on. I'm not invested in local sports and I've already seen the big wire stories online. But online I don't have a habit of clicking on standings pages on ESPN.com and elsewhere. Scoreboards, yes, standings, no. So in the local paper I'll spend some good time on the standings.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So you spend money to read standings in the paper when you can read those exact same standings (and probably updated with the late results) with a couple clicks of the mouse? Those same clicks you use to open stories or scoreboards?

Weird. But OK.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This connects with a conversation I had with our ME. We're the only paper some of our readers subscribe to, a second buy for a large percentage of our base, and a third buy for a few in certain areas. We target ways to boost our numbers in the places where we have a realistic chance.

I think there is a lot of truth in what you say, and the path you're on takes you near more truth. I suspect Moddy's thinking is shaped by the fact that his is not the only paper serving D.C. area readers. Is the goal to be the No. 1 paper? Post readers will switch to the Times? Or, is it to publish alternative takes, fresh voices and enough "different" to persuade people to get a second paper? I think answering those questions goes a long way toward helping him decide how much a sports section "of record" he wants to be and how much a "good read" he wants to be -- all while trying to balance the legitimate point Bubbler so eloquently makes.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm the same way. There's more of us than you think.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well if we're talking the whole paper, I spend more time on the front page and local news. Just explaining my sports rationale and that, yes, I'm an agate reader. Now leave me alone, I'm doing my taxes on a slide rule.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Makin' me nostalgic. My dad could nearly make one of those things sit up and bark.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Johnny Dangerously

No doubt there's benefit to hunting and gathering and assembling a lot of information in a one-stop destination for people. That's the monopoly newspapers had for years, essentially. So, playthrough, jr/shotglass and someone with millions in venture capital, you want to get together and talk about starting AgatePage.com?

:)

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I know the smiley face indicates you are joking, but you might be on to something there.

9. Johnny Dangerously

I'm smiling because I'm already thinking of how rich and famous Imma be.

:)

10. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

So what did you think?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cool. Stop in and say hello.

Well, as noted, hardly an impartial observer. I'm happy. Not quite thrilled and definitely not satisfied. We'll be better in a month and a hell of a lot better in a year. But I think we've done some really good stuff early and my crew - still not a full crew but I've put hiring on the backburner for a little while - is busting it. Producing a lot for print and online. Still have some decisions to make about agate, results, whatever -- all the things being discussed on this thread.

And to those still in the mix, the backburner thing won't last very long. I need to get that finished but I've done enough that we can roll out sections regularly.

Draft saved Draft deleted