1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Times sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Mar 21, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If the section is facing the space issues many others are, something has to give, though.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We'll see. Our space is limited at the start and I'm still toying with what fits/doesn't, what works/doesn't, what is necessary/isn't. We may run a bracket leading into the Thursday games. Or we may not. Traditional newspapers are losing readers at a pretty good clip. They have other places to go to get that basic information. That is pretty well documented.

(posted after Fran's comment and what YGBFKM says is on point - what you see in there today may be gone in a month and something not there now may be in there)

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

We run agate some days (maybe 4 out of 7 days) because we are limited in space as well (we're a 18K community daily), and readers have not said a word. With that space where agate would go is local content. We've been doing this for about 3 years now and no one has said, "Where's my damn baseball standings and box scores?" I'm not saying they're not important, but given our circumstance, we've decided it's not THAT important unless readers tell us otherwise.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't understand that line of thinking.

You either run agate, or you don't.

You can't sometimes run it. Your readers need to know that when they pick up the paper daily if it'll be there.

When I buy Twinkies, I know the creme filling will be there. I don't wonder if Hostess will decide to leave something out of the product in one out of three cases.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

"Agate is too important to cut" is another of those ideas based in newspapers' heyday and clung to by people who are too afraid to get out of their comfort zone than try something new. The ship may be sinking, but at least I've got my favorite seat!

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Twinkies.

Congrats, Moddy!

7. VJ

VJ Member

There's a copy of the sports front on the @sportsdesigner twitter feed.

8. You can see the cover on SportsDesigner's Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SportsDesignercom/105888478940

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not running agate will not get you new readers, and it gyps the readers who are sticking with you. A big part of the problem with newspapers over the last decade is trying to make them something other than a newspaper. Then you create a situation where you are trying to attract a clientele that was never going to choose you, in a way that causes those who are loyal to waver. It's not a matter of comfort zone or somesuch. It's a matter of letting a newspaper be a newspaper, for those who are inclined to stick with newspapers, and there are still millons of such folks out there.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

But if the choice comes down to agate vs. staff copy in an increasingly tight newshole, I'm choosing the copy every time.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

You might be basing your choice on your personal preferences rather than what the reader wants. Running more staff copy isn't "getting out of your comfort zone." It's what you are comfortable doing.

(Dooley sums this up well, above.)

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Wrong. I'm well aware of the penchant for people basing their sections on what they want, ignoring the readers. I'm not a fan of agate in cramped sports sections, but I understand it may be vital to the readership. It may not be, though. All those readers Dooley referred to aren't reading the same paper they were decades ago. Even during newspapers' heydays, they evolved significantly. I'm sure the same arguments were made decades ago when the design of newspapers began to alter dramatically. That didn't drive away "those readers." The newspaper has never been a static entity. Why should it be now, when everyone's searching for answers?

Draft saved Draft deleted