1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Times sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Mar 21, 2011.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Anyone care to post the front of the Times' sports section?

I'd like to see it.

I'd also love a hard copy, if anyone in D.C. would be willing to drop one in the mail.

Here's today's front page

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What a rag. :D

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the online work that Moddy's crew has done already.

But that Page 1 is still hideously designed, although with slightly nicer and easier-to-read fonts. And they still try to cram way too much crap above the fold.

I haven't seen sports yet, but with the previous section that was one of the few things that was well-designed.

4. SteveRep44

SteveRep44 Member

First off, it's good to see that the newsstand price has come down from $1 to 50 cents. I perused a copy while at the store today. If you've read some of the articles about the re-launch, you've read Moddy's quotes about what the section would -- and would not -- be.

And that's what I saw. A four-page section. Lots of staff copy. A little bit of wire. No traditonal agate - just some top finishers to go with the PGA and NASCAR stories. No updated NCAA bracket. NBA & NHL scores & standings? Not there. I don't think they had anything from Comcast Center on the Maryland & Georgetown women's NCAA games.

But in the context of being the first one, it's not all that different from the first one of 1982.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I expected more A1 impact from the first day of a reboot. I, too, would like to see the sports section.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We had a story on the women, will have it staffed tomorrow. No bracket because games were still going on beyond deadline, though lots of brackets are available across the web. Not sure a bracket is wise use of our limited space.
    Standings, too. There's links on our web site to full stats packages for just about everything. Not sure we need to waste space with stuff most people aren't getting out of the newspaper anymore.
    It's a work in progress. We'll twist and tweak here and there, try some things that will work, try some things that won't work. I'm not married to anything just yet.

7. Moderator1

And I have several copies of the sports front on my kitchen counter - don't know how to post them here.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Scan to .pdf?

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Can you sketch something? [/dumbdesignerhumor]

10. Moderator1

We had a story up top, a column down the left side, a centerpiece in the center and a story on the bottom.

Pleased with the start. We'll be a lot better in a month and a hell of a lot better in a year. I now know what coaches mean when they say you can practice for a month and it still doesn't get you prepared for playing a game. I've marked up our first section considerably.

11. Moderator1

I gave copies to my class tonight. Started raining like hell while we were meeting. On the way out, one of the students said, "Thanks for the umbrella."

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

This isn't a criticism of Washington Times, but --- I think the argument that you don't need standings, brackets, agate results, etc., is flawed. One of the best things a sports section can do is conveniently package all of that information along with local coverage. I have never seen any research that says readers don't want the basic information.

Draft saved Draft deleted