1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Times Caps reporter Steve Whyno's first of a series

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JR, Mar 20, 2012.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Nice to see Whyno getting some love. I've praised him to Moddy numerous times. He has as much passion and enthusiasm for the job, and hockey, as anyone I've met.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A. Thanks guys. Your checks are in the mail

B. I did NOT put them up to this. Honest.

C. Ruckus (and JR) are right. But those other papers can stay the hell away

4. VJ

VJ Member

Love me some Whyno

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fuck London [/bitterexjuniorwingsfanboi]

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

This. [/everyotherteamintheohl]

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

JJ never disappoints!

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I follow Whyno, Katie Carrera and Tarik El-Bashir on Twitter ... I've really liked Stephen's stuff the more I've read him this season. I like the fact that he scoreboard watches on off days, giving updates of important games to Caps fans. He interacts with a lot of people, which I think is a key as a beat reporter. You can't respond to everyone on Twitter, but building a relationship with your readership is key. It's something I try to do on my beat. I certainly go to both papers' websites now to read on a daily basis.

10. Moderator1

When I get some time, I'll share a couple of Whyno stories. Young people looking to make their way in this business can learn a lot from him, well beyond his excellent work ethic and ability to report. Be mature beyond your years is the short version.

Getting ready to edit part three for tomorrow. He put a ton of work into this series and it shows.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Does your story involve his extensive collection of jerseys? I am in awe of how many baseball and hockey jerseys he owns. Which just goes to further show his complete love of sports. You don't have to love sports to be a good sports writer, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

12. Moderator1

They make jersies that small?? KIDDING, Steve, KIDDING

Draft saved Draft deleted