1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Times Baseball Writer?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Periwinkle Blues, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Periwinkle Blues

Periwinkle Blues New Member

I'm a college junior from Washington D.C. who hopes to one day break into sports journalism, and this would be my dream job as a H.S. baseball player.

My college advisor sent me this link last week and I have been reading this site for some time so I ask you guys. I see this newspaper's beat writer is leaving. That must mean this job is open?

http://www..washingtontimes.com/blog/nationals-watch/2013/oct/3/fond-farewell-and-bit-thanks/

Does anyone know anything about it?

-Michael

2. MicahMcVicker

MicahMcVicker New Member

You are correct, Michael: http://bit.ly/17wvty5

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

You realize you posted the same link that Michael posted, right? He already knew he was correct. He was asking if anybody knew anything about replacing her. So you are just as unhelpful to Michael as I currently am in this thread.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No worries Ron. I suspect someone near and dear to all of us on this board with intimate knowledge of the situation will step forward soon.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Best wishes to Amanda, whose work I've always enjoyed.

End of her post on future destination was interesting... MASN, perhaps? Just spitballing, far from any inside knowledge.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Comak was tremendous on that beat. She'll be great at whatever she does next. Like wicked, I'm assuming maybe local TV as well. I know she was called on a bunch for TV reports for the MLB Network and maybe another network.

Either way, that's a tough loss for the Times, who have lost beat writers for the Caps, Skins, and Nats to bigger and better things recently. Fortunately, the Skins position was filled immediately.

7. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

So how does someone apply? I doubt I would get the job, but you strike out every time you don't swing.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit2/?id=6193301&t=1

But don't get your hopes up, the job is almost filled.

I hesitate to wade into this because of some a-holes (well a certain one) and this will shut down if he shows up. Sadly, his performances keep many SEs from discussing their jobs on here.

I wrote what I did above not to be a jerk, honest, but to be frank. Like most SEs do, I keep a "prospect" list handy, on my iPad in fact. I was fortunate enough to fill my Skins beat inside of a week and may beat that here. I don't have enough staff to go short for long. As soon as I get a whiff I may be losing someone, I get ready to move.

That said, apply if you are interested and apply through that link because I can't do anything with your stuff otherwise. Odds are small at this point, yes. They are none if you don't apply. Those on my list may not work out so who knows? Also, some of those who apply may get onto the list. Most on there got on the list when I did the mass hirings back when we started. I had about 20 times as many qualified candidates as I had openings, no room for everybody. So I've been watching a group of people over the years and I go to them first.

This is all I'm saying about it until the job is filled. So don't ask me questions here or via PM. I have a lot of generic advice to offer, but I'm sure you've heard it all before.

And, yes, NO PHONE CALLS

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Best wishes Amanda.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Put me in, Coach.

11. Thank you for your candor, Moddy. As a guy who's looking, it sucks to never know what the real deal is with a job and waiting to get an email that never comes...

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is done - Zac Boyer of the Fredericksburg Free-Lance Star will be joining us. He's talented and versatile, will help us in a variety of ways. Same place where we got Rich Campbell, who has moved on to cover the Bears for the Chicago Tribune.

The link I posted above will be live for another week or so if you want to submit some stuff. We have a bunch of them in there and it will give me a chance to refresh my list.

Thanks all.

Draft saved Draft deleted