1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington [racial slurs] name change/local high schools

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by superhater, Jul 12, 2020.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

My high school was not the Wolverines, but we had their helmet style and maize and blue as our school colors. The older high school in my town had Stanford's color scheme and are still known as the Indians to this day as far as I know.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A junior college in SoCal was the Indians up until about 20 years ago when they switched to Wolverines. And, yeah, there isn't a wolverine within thousands of miles of the place.

3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Red Dawn made Wolverines local to anywhere and everywhere.

Batman and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

Here's a thread from a meeting in Savannah, Missouri, where the Savannah Savages' name had been discussed.

I just don't get the stubbornness of white people to refuse changing the name. What's going to hurt you soooo badly that your racist-ass school mascot is being changed?

Mngwa likes this.
  5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Cause some people think the whole mascot debate and cancel culture is dumb. Did you see Tar Heels name is under fire and so is Rice Krispies. The three elves on the box are white. They also have been on the box since 1940.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Any day now ...

[​IMG]

7. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

It's dumb that some teams have nicknames that mock or reduce cultures to a mascot or fight song. If you've read the history of the name "Tar Heel," maybe you'd agree that name lionizes people who fought for the Confederacy. If we are really respecting Black Americans and Native people, that shit shouldn't fly. It's not "cancel culture"

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The phrase "cancel culture" is just a way for assholes to pretend the real problem is the people telling them to stop being assholes.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

To the extent that “cancel culture” exists (it doesn’t), this is actually one of the more impactful instances of it. Usually when people use the phrase, it means “A person whose work I enjoy has retrograde beliefs/did something horrible and someone had the gall to bring it up.”

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Haven't heard much in the last month or so, but back in June there was some chatter that LSU and Missouri's mascot -- the seemingly innocent Tigers -- was racist as well, because they originated from Confederate army units that were said to have "fought like tigers" during the Civil War.

11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

We have a tiny school in southern Minnesota that merged in the early 90s. They chose the Rebels name by student vote, because there were many kids who were fans of the UNLV Rebels men's basketball team. No mascot was picked at the time, but an early clothing order came back with a mascot similar to UNLV's. Nobody said anything, and it stuck. Now a few alums are trying to get it changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted