1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington [racial slurs] name change/local high schools

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by superhater, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

McGill did a review of the name “Redmen” in about 1991. They conclusion was that the original name was just about the colour (not sure if St. John’s is similar) so they ditch the stylized logo. Everyone seemed agreeable.

A review in the last few years found more references to native culture than originally thought, so they scrapped the name before 2019 and are in process of picking a new name.

Simon Fraser University in B.C. are “The Clan”. In the 1970s they were Clansmen. It’s obviously a reference to Scots but as the school plays in the USA they apparently get lots of flack for the name when they travel. Most student athletes want it changed.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

My college roommate was born and raised in Tulare and returned there after graduation. He told me the school, officially named Tulare Union (as opposed to its rival, Tulare Western), took the Miami "U" logo and put it in their school colors after the name change.

maumann likes this.
  3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I understand the reason for all of this and if Redskins offends one Native American it's too many but I did find it interesting the Navajo President suggested the new name be the Washington Code Talkers. He was gung ho with that. Oops.
    After expressing his choice he caught so much flack from Navajos he had to put out a statement saying "Don't name the team the Code Talkers." It was offensive name even though the President of Navajo Nation suggested it.
    I am against the name Redskins BTW just thought this was insane. The man who wanted Code Talkers is a Native American who had to backstep before he got canceled himself.

4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

How the fuck is "Savages" a school nickname in 2020?

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Maybe its in honor of this guy?

[​IMG]

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Those were Communists that founded that school. In the 1920s Russians made up the largest immigrant group in Colorado. :)

Fast-forward to 1:22

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why exactly did you just quote a sentence from a long post of mine from a different thread. ... from 12 years ago?

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

9. jla74m

jla74m Member

Morris, Illinois, a football powerhouse with state championships has always been known as the Redskins.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I've seen Compton women grads wearing T-shirts that say: Always a 'Babe

The L.A. City Section changed many years ago. Birmingham High changed from Braves to Patriots. University High changed from Warriors to Wildcats. There is an area of Tongva sacred land on the campus. There might have been one or two others that I'm not remembering right now.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  12. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

They could also just go back to being the Spiders.

Draft saved Draft deleted