1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post uses 2012 Nats photo for 2014 game

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nietsroob17, Oct 4, 2014.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

On an early print run. You'd think the fact that is says POSTSEASON 2012 on the lip of the dugout would've been a dead giveaway?
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2220536-washington-post-mistakenly-uses-photo-with-michael-morse-in-nationals-jersey

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or that everyone in the world saw they were wearing red jerseys on the field, and have white on in the picture.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Just saw this story. Nuts. How the fuck did this get past a night editor?

4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Or that Jayson Werth appears very well groomed.

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I've accidentally pulled photos from the night (or game before) but never two years. And in none of the cases did the wrong photo run (which would have been very bad, considering the first time I did that was with an NBA game - i.e. when they were playing the wrong team.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm told this may not be legit - though I'm skeptical. I'm looking right at that picture. But no one I know in DC has actually seen it and several Post people I know swear it didn't happen.

The original tweet I saw came from none other than Michael Morse.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Turns out - it was real. They ran a CX today

https://twitter.com/dcsportsbog/status/518837360512237568/photo/1

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Since it was on the cover, perhaps yet another example of news-side people handling sports stuff without any consultation from the sports folks before the pages get sent?

I'm curious what the blowback from this will be. I'm generally not one to shout "fire them all!" when things go wrong, but this is a pretty embarrassing mistake that should have been easily noticed and avoided.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I wonder what the slugging convention for content at the Post is? It would seem that a photo from 2012 would (should?) reflect that in the filename, cutline, info file date posted/modified field or somewhere. But in a pinch on deadline, anything can happen.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The same Michael Morse who not only leaning on the bat in the middle of the shot, but was signed in the offseason, but not on the NLDS roster of ... the San Francisco Giants.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

An EIC I had at my college paper is a designer there now. I'm going to have to ask her about this. Yikes! Hopefully she didn't have anything to do with it.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

You would think, too, a photo from that far back would have long been purged. I'm curious how it happened as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted