1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post to drop Orioles coverage, "share" Sun's stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baltimoreguy, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

From the Post's "Nationals Journal"....

That's too bad. And kind of shocking, really.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Oh, fuck me.

3. Mediator

Mediator Member

Rearranging deck chairs, sadly.

4. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

I grew up reading Tom Boswell when he was the Post's Orioles beat writer. Dave Sheinin of the Post broke the Ripken retirement story. Really the end of a great tradition.

Also, doesn't this hurt both papers, just a little bit? Weren't there still some people out there who cared enough about the Orioles to pick up/read both papers every day to see if one had something that the other didn't? Now, if you live in that middle ground bewtween DC and Baltimore, you only need to get either/or to get all the Orioles news.

And it's clearly a bad thing for the fans -- like the Post abandoning its coverage of the Statehouse in Annapolis.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The ambitious ball writer who has gone to cover the Yankees for the Newark Star-Ledger -- is this the same Newark Star-Ledger that is farming out so much of its baseball coverage to the New York Daily News? Isn't Newark just going to go with bloggers or something now?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The "sharing" arrangement makes the assumption the Baltimore Sun will still be around for the entirety of the baseball season. That's some optimism for you.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This is basically Fort Worth-Dallas all over again.

8. I thought Fort Worth and Dallas pulled the plug on that arrangement. No?

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Not as far as I know. At least, not as of last week. There were only a DMN beat guy in our neck of the woods covering the Mavericks, trying to figure out how in the hell to get his story to the Star-Telegram as well.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Carig is blogging all day from camp and supposedly will write some features for print. Game coverage will still come from the NYDN.
    And either the Post wasn't paying him very much or he took a pay cut to go to the Ledger.

11. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

doesn't really matter what the post was paying him or what the ledger is paying him. from what i understand, he didn't have a job when the post dumped its orioles coverage.

in regards to the dmn-fwst sharing agreement, it was a thread topic here a couple of weeks ago, but it was not a confirmed report:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/66999/

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Carig and three others, I think, are working on 1-year contracts in Newark. From what I'm told, Carig's stuff will rarely appear in the paper edition, just as you said spnited.

Also, this is weird. Apparently, the new writers had to take and pass a physical before they were hired. Now, I'm not saying it's a bad thing to be in shape, but that's a little unnecessary, no? Especially with one-year deals.

Either way, the Star Ledger got itself a handful of very talented writers.

Draft saved Draft deleted