1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post Super Bowl commerical

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Member

Has a thread on this been started elsewhere? If not, may I add to this thread?

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Somebody at the Post didn't like it.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. Tweener

Tweener Active Member

This is the second woman who reports for WaPo to mention the pay gap in that newsroom. Does that actually exist, and if so how would a reporter know they are making less because they are a woman?

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Unions have access to newsroom pay data. The Post newsroom is unionized.

7. Tweener

Tweener Active Member

OK, but how can we then determine that someone is paid less than a co-worker based solely on gender? I’m genuinely curious, because that’s not something to take lightly.

I mean, factoring in varying levels of experience and job responsibilities, yearly reviews, one’s ability to negotiate more money, there are many factors that come into play when determining salaries. I can’t imagine it’s ever been as back and white as, “You’re a reporter and every reporter makes X.”

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Like writing an essay about the value of life in the blood dripping from the veins you just slit.

Draft saved Draft deleted