1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post Sandy Hook story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 15, 2015.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They change everything.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Very, very well said. I think what's going to be a lasting memory for me is of my 5-year-old son from this past summer. He had gone to one of those pottery-painting places at school and had painted a dragon, and my mother was in town, and he was so excited to show it to her. I can still picture it like it's right in front of me - she was in the bathroom washing her hands, and I was looking down the hallway at him, and he went and did this sort of slide-hop move into the doorway, smiling this gigantic smile. I'm tearing up a little now thinking about it.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I can't bring myself to read the story. Not to get too hyperbolic but that day had more of an impact for me than 9-11 did. Despite working in the airline industry 9-11 did not really seem personal to me and I carried on fine the day it happened.

The day of the Sandy Hook shootings I bailed from my work and took my daughter to look at Christmas lights and was a mess the entire time.

Kids do funny things like that to you.

qtlaw likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A father by the age of 33! Boy, he must have started early. *

*Before anyone gets upset, that was a joke, made at my own expense.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Today is the sixth anniversary and a bomb threat was called into the school, forcing an evacuation.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Eli Saslow's story is so good I could only read it once.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Find that asshole and bring a rope. I live in the same neighborhood where Vicki Soto grew up and lived. I didn't know her personally, but I have many friends who did, including my daughter's teacher. Sandy Hook hoax proponents have made a horror story even worse and are the most terrible human beings on earth.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've never watched a minute of the Sandy Hook coverage. Didn't see the point hearing the same soundbites, the same empty gestures. I spent the next year writing members of Congress and the Senate (Ds and Rs, those in support and those opposed), urging them to do something, anything - to let the country know that this event left an impact. They couldn't even pass a watered-down bill (Manchin-Toomey) that was heavily lobbied by the grieving parents. I knew then that Congress was broken and was not capable of meeting the needs of our nation.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Change is coming. There's a whole generation of voters coming for these laws.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So something other than “Thoughts and Prayers?”
    I damn hope so; my generation owes so much to the younger gens it’s awful (debt, racial and social divisions) all so a few get some more iPhones and other luxuries.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yep. Well, IMO anyway. America's moving harder left in the next 10-15. It's coming.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The NRA is serving milk and cookies today.

Draft saved Draft deleted