1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post: "Marty Schottenheimer, NFL coach whose teams wilted in the postseason, dies at 77"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kolchak, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a snarky Hitler obit or headline.

Probably higher standards back then.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

“Mr. Hitler, who sought to modify the genetic makeup of Germany through social works programs ... ”

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Maybe WaPo thought his one-year stint with WFT wasn't sufficient to clue in Millenial readers...

4. Adam94

Adam94 Member

I'm curious, do you think all millennials are snowflakes? Every single person born after a certain year?

5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I’m sure most millennials are wonderful hard-working people but it feels like the only ones making noise are the absolute softest, most sensitive, self-centered, sloppiest motherfuckers alive

6. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Fair's fair. You seemed to use the word snowflakes in every thread I saw you in, and I'm not a fan of the generalizations, but I can't stand the way the apparent representatives of my generation behave most of the time either.

7. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

How about this one? Thoughts?

upload_2021-2-20_19-32-38.png

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Schottenheimer one was shitty and unfair.

This one is absolutely honest.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

There is this strange fantasy that the Washington Post web team is stacked with the best and the brightest, that despite its gradual (and at times painful, clumsy) transition from a newspaper into a 24-7 news org, everyone there is like a member of the News Team Avengers, the best at his/her craft. Knowing a little about the people who work there, I guarantee this was not written for RAGE CLICKS but instead by someone who dashed off a headline trying to get it up quickly, someone who didn't think it through because they had 13 other things to do that morning.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Oh, does that ever bring back memories of trying to make agate line up before the magic of WYSIWYG at places like the Sun-Sentinel. The rule was every player had to fit on one line, in lists or boxscores. So you'd wind up with M.C'lc'v'chia or C.Y'z'mski in an effort to squeeze names and not have to send the copy twice to pasteup.

Racing and golf on Sunday nights were particularly troublesome, because of the addition of prize money. Finally, the SE said "f--- the money totals. If people want to know how much Jack Nicklaus got paid for winning, they can read it in the story."

Liut and HanSenSE like this.
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Agate could be hell, but it also could be tremendously satisfying when you got it JUST RIGHT. I treated it as a challenge.

bpoindexter, Liut and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted