1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post finds the formula

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 2, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Turns out it's un utter abandonment of journalistic ethics.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/24441.html

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's amazing. And it ought to destroy the Post as a credible source of information. If ordered to participate in such a session, any journalist with a shred of integrity would have no option but to resign.
    Imagine, a LOBBYIST thinking you've gone beyond the ethical pale in terms of conflict of interest!

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

What's left of my soul hopes this whole thing's a hoax.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I would bet all my money that the cancellation of this event is announced before day's end.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's another thing, FDP. If this is real, top management at the Post was obviously dumb enough to think they could keep it a secret.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

WaPo should lose its journalistic integrity for setting the financial bar so low.

$250K is asswipe for some of these folks.

8. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

I'd probably force the paper to fire me instead. If you resign, you can't draw unemployment insurance.

9. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

I read the thing. Then I checked my calendar to see if it was April 1. As JP McEnroe Jr. once said, "You CANNOT be serious."

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The newsroom will not participate. I'm still not sure if a newspaper has ever done this before, even without reporters and editors.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/24441.html#ixzz0K7CrrmSh&C

11. VJ

VJ Member

Newspapers organize conferences all the time. Guaranteeing participation of the newsroom in exchange for money is new.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

But do they sell exclusive access to specific people? That's what's happening here.

Draft saved Draft deleted