1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post does first Paterno interview following Sanduskygate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doodah, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Quite. Loved where she posted her own reader love note to herself to "heal my wounded pride" at being called out by a reader for writing a softball love note.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I did not get anything from Jenkins' story other than Paterno is old, of even worse health than I thought and is extremely naive to the world. He comes off looking very bad, almost to the point that his words are merely a cover-up than actual truth.

But in regard to a big "get," it's nothing special, simply because Paterno offered almost nothing. It was disappointing. The worst thing when you get a story like that is to not have a single thing worth keeping its shelf life alive for a considerable amount of time. But this story will be old news in no time.

As far as the Q&A, my God. Jenkins comes off horribly as well with all the love notes to herself.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just wish a major national paper could have handled this. The Washington Post was way out of its depth handling a Pennsylvania story.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yeah, totally out of its coverage area. Walt Moody at the Centre Daily Times would have asked tougher questions!

5. doodah

doodah Guest

You think a softball article like this could get Jenkins fired?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sure, just like all of the other reporters around the country who are too soft.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

OK, now I know you're faking it.

8. doodah

doodah Guest

No, I'm not. The WP is a destination job, and if so many qualified journalists could have done a far better job than Jenkins, why not let her go?

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I swear, we used to get a much higher caliber of troll around here.

10. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Two things surprised me here:
    1. According to the Q&A, Jenkins only got about 40-45 minutes with Paterno. Someone on the board said earlier that she must have transcribed hours of interview. And by the looks of her story, it seemed like she talked to him for hours. Whether she was soft or not, she got a lot of good content in a short matter of time.

2. She didn't seem too confident in herself in the Q&A. I'm glad I've never had to do a Q&A where readers get to grill me about my work. It's not an easy thing to do, I'm sure. But I think I would at least defend my work and sell it as the best work I could have done and not "let the readers decide whether I succeeded or failed."

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My point was that she didn't write the column to get the interview. She wrote the column because she felt that way about the issue. We disagree on the validity of that stance, which is another matter entirely. But I have a pretty big issue with the idea that Jenkins was setting herself up for the interview, as you half-assedly accused her of doing:

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You really, really need to just stop and think before you ask questions like this one. Did you consider checking out Jenkins' credentials on the Google machine? She's a former Associated Press Sports Editors' Columnist of the Year with three (and likely soon to be four, should her Pat Summitt feature be selected) appearances in the Best American Sports Writing series and numerous best-selling books. She's a former senior writer for Sports Illustrated. She's worked for The Washington Post for, over two stints, nearly 20 years. She's the daughter of arguably the greatest sports writer ever, Dan Jenkins.

That list of facts doesn't even do her ability justice. She's remarkably connected and a dazzling feature writer. She's also one of the best at taking a hard stance when she feels it's appropriate (which she obviously did not in this case, which is another topic altogether). She really is one of the finest working sports columnists, something I think at least a few of those ripping her Joe Paterno interview in this thread would be willing to admit.

And without Sally Jenkins on staff, the Post never gets this story and never gets the likely hundreds of thousands of hits generated by this story.

And besides all that, you don't fire a senior columnist, regardless of credentials, for one story that fell short of your expectations.

Draft saved Draft deleted